Sign in to follow this  
librarian

Questionnaire on public library use

Somali Library Project : What are Somalis' cultural needs in relation to public libraries and how could the library meet them?

1. Do you use public libraries and if not, why not? what might stop you from going in?

2. How do you get to hear about things, events, what the library provides and equally how do you let your community know about an event that might be of interest?

3. What do you want more of and access to, communication through sound (radio, phone, talking books, music), images and text (books of photos, videos, DVDs, ICT, Books in Somali, Arabic, about Africa or Somalia or where, newspapers, magazines)?

4. Have you had any problems in joining a library, with say proof of address or identity?

5. What changes could be made so that you would be comfortable in and using the local library?

I am looking for stories and incident about your experiences, both positive and negative, and it would be helpful if you could identify the country/town in which you had a positive or negative public library experience and what it consisted of. The research is for an MA Information Management in the UK but as I work as a project officer for a London Borough it could result in positive changes that benefit some of the London Somali community. Please help if you can, and may I thank you for the help some of you have already given me.

Librarian

Paragon   

1. Do you use public libraries and if not, why not? what might stop you from going in?

Fortunately, I use library services in several London Boroughs especially Ealing, Hounslow and Hillingdon. The library that I mostly frequent is Southall Community Library (Ealing) which, because of community demands, endeavoured to bring in new books that are specifically for Somalis. Although there are Somali materials in that library, they are considerably few considering the need of the local Somali community. It takes me two buses to get the library for the single purpose of obtaining access to one book that is not available in other library that I occassionally visit.

2. How do you get to hear about things, events, what the library provides and equally how do you let your community know about an event that might be of interest?

Personally, I havent yet heard or seen any event publicised by the libraries. I didn't also come across any information from libraries that is dedicated to informing Somalis about anything that might be of interest to the Somali community. So since I have nothing specific to tell others, I dont let others know about the library services. However, I often encouraged students to make a habit of using the library to their advantage. Students may already know about the benefits of general library services, but that only doesn't draw them into the library. It is possible that many Somalis don't see the library as a public establishment, rather they may see libraries as being places other communities are indirectly or directly invited while they are excluded. The perception could be that these libraries cater for all but Somalis.

3. What do you want more of and access to, communication through sound (radio, phone, talking books, music), images and text (books of photos, videos, DVDs, ICT, Books in Somali, Arabic, about Africa or Somalia or where, newspapers, magazines)?

Generally, as it seems to me, only few Somali-related books are found in many West-London libraries or no other materials such as Somali DVD's, CD, Cassette Tapes and etc. Where, for example, a small library like the one in Hayes and Harlington may have sections for Punjabi, Tamil and Urdu speakers, not a single Somali book or any other material is found in it, and thus it becomes understable why many Somalis don't enter the library.

What is needed here is the determintation of Somali community and the local libraries to ensure Somali materials are gathered and allocated a section of their own. Another factor to bear in mind is that the Somali cumminity is an oral society. Anything written may not appeal to many of them. The mistrust of the written materials can gradually be dealt with by introducing into the libraries Somali elements such visual signs in Somali, traditional Somali images like the camel, pictures of Somalis themselves or picture in local library advertisement or other culturally-attractive things, to lure Somalis in. When the eye sees familiar images, the mind is relaxed and attracted to go farther smile.gif

NB: I am in a rush, I will finish answering your questions later. Allah Willing.

Dear Jamaal-11,

This is great and exactly what is needed and I think a good use of the potential of the Internet. Thank you for your contributon and I will post what info I find that may be useful in a couple of weeks time and I promise any information collected from this site will be passed on to people who may be able to help improve library provision in respect of the Somali community which is a large one in London. In the meantime the more comments we get the more representative and useful it will be.

Librarian