Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

To Be or Not To Be?

Gabbal   

How can one be called and can call him/herself a Somali nationalist? Are there certain guidelines one can have or has one have to have a certain belief to be a Somali nationalist? With the coining of new terms such as "Neo-Nationalist", I want to get a general understanding of what bases the Nomads think along.

For those of you who wish to reply that nationalism is haraam, I am writing on the context that as Muslims we need to be united, because to me envisioning Somalia without Islam is a desecration of our faith in my opinion.

Macalin   

Not Eating Injeera and going to Ethiopian restaurants...' :D Now thas being Nationalist

Seriously tho,i find it irritating ppl eating the injeera version of ethios very very unpatriotic!

On the real tho.being Unqabiil is nationalism in my eyes

Liqaye   

:D Brother horn I see that the cheerleaders on these forum's throwing words whos import they do not grasp such as neo-nationalist around, has really gotten to you.

Maybe my criteria for nationalism will help, as you said you want to know how we base our nationalism.

1. I believe in a united somalia.

2. I believe in a somalia irridenta.

3. I am completely against, in theory and in practise the use of qabiil, and wage a personal jihad against my soul, whenever it seems to be slipping into qabil cliches, and comforting myths

4. I beleive in democracy, because my nationalism is an expression of the peoples will , and democracy is the least flawed manner of expression.

5. I believe in meritocracy, namely that a persons individual endevours be they female or male will be the determining factor in their progress in somali society, and not the patronage of the qabill they are so lucky or unlucky to have been born a member of.

6. I intend in the future as i do NOW to put into practise my believes in every interaction and joint enteprise i engage in with my fellow somalis.

7. AND MY order of priorites are as follows.

Islam and the muslim ummah

somalia

family

individual

That is my personal ambition.

Period

Well i think a better word perhaps would be a Fundamentalist, i.e. One who stick to and observers the Fundamental principles of Islam Rather than A nationalist.

Rember Nationalist from an Islamic point has alot of negative conotations and even our Prohpet Muhammed (SAW) disapproved of it in the strongest possible terms.

Liqaye I think the critera you have outlined is admirable and would be a marked improvement on the current status qou of relations.

Liqaye   

Thank you brother.

As i said before i am a fundamentalist.

I agree that nationalism in a muslim context has severe connotations.

The quran clearly states that the reason why Allah (s.a.w) choose to divide his creation into nations was for increased knowledge of one another, and it also is clear about the precedence of the muslim ummah over all other man made constructs.

But my nationalism does not predisipose me to be arrogant towards other ethnicities or even feel them to be some how inherently inferior.

My nationalism is just a reflection of a section of the muslims ummah's struggle towards, the great muslim bortherhood.

Also it seems the more we look at the horn of africa the more it seems we will be subsumed under the kaafir politiys of kenya and ethiopia threatening not only our "nation" but our muslim ummah.

But like i said in the final analysis i am a member of not only the muslim nation but JAMIATL-HAQ thise who struggle for a just and fair muslim rule in the ummah.

Gabbal   

Far from it Liqaye, believe me when I say I had a good laugh when I first read the term "Neo-Nationalist" here in SOL, I just thought it would a good source of discussion.