LashayaHughes

Somalia: Drought and Famine Prevention Response Dashboard (January - June 2022) (As of 17 July 2022)

A total of 4.1 million people were reached with drought response and famine prevention activities between January and June 2022, representing 65 per cent of the 6.41 million people targeted. The number of districts under Operational Priority Area (OPA) 1 has increased from 26 to 34 due to the spike in the number of people facing catastrophic levels of food insecurity (IPC Phase 5). The response overall continues to shift towards the priority areas. Some 62 per cent of the 4 million people targeted in OPA 1 districts and 60 per cent of the 1.8 million targeted in OPA 2 districts have received assistance. The operational focus on OPA 1 has further increased, with 60 per cent of all people reached in June were in those districts, compared to 52 per cent of those reached in May. The Food Security response is particularly high, with 70 per cent of the target reached, while Health, Nutrition and WASH interventions continue to be scaled up. Of the 3.63 million people targeted in districts in IPC Phase 5, 2.2 million (62 per cent) have received assistance.

20220717_Som_Drought Response Dashboard_June_V1.pdf

shuss1   

They have two seasons every year. The rains start in the Ethiopian highlands and then runs downstream to Somalia like clockwork two times every year. This precious freshwater is never harvested and just gorges into the salty Indian Ocean. Any country with a ounce of a brain would be harvesting that massive amounts of precious water into dams, reservoirs for drinking water or a network of irrigation canals for agriculture. Instead these Somalis do nothing other than beg for foreign aid or stupid western NGOS that fool them into thinking they are helping you

Aroori   
1 hour ago, shuss1 said:

Any country with a ounce of a brain

Bingo..... It is jello between the ears. Why would I care about water catchment/harvesting when I can brag about how laandheere I am in fadhi-ku-dirir sessions, who cares about the wellbeing of my society, I'd rather put all of my energy on how our qabiil might dominate yours in the coming pseudo elections. There is no hope for the Somalis in Somalia.  

Based on my experience our soil is fertile and we have no shortage of land.   I have discovered two major problems, first one is the water availability and the second one is the practical knowledge of how to farm and what to farm.  An other problem is the fence, all these things costs minimum of 10 thousand  US dollars.   And that's the lowest I can think about for the very  smart peaple  .  now ask yourself how on earth can poor, uneducated  Somali person can get 10 thousand USD ? Don't blame our peaple.  Blame our business cummunities , government and the diaspora

In somaliland farming skyrocketed for the last couple of years,  most new farmers are  peaple returning from abroad,    these new guys are some of the most patriotic peaple I ever seen in my entire Life , they really do help other poor families  because their goal is reduce the amount of fruits and vegetables we import.  They share knowledge how ever the water problem is still unsolved.

I suggest few methods  that I think we can catch the water or reduce the water consumption for farming  The easiest  one is  balli or or surface  dams .  The second one  is subsurface dams plus shallow wells.    The 3 other methods I recommend are  the drip irrigation, greenhouses and Aeroponics.   Guys I like farming and I can tell you farming is not cheap to start.  Even the birds are challenging.

If you create a farm in the middle of no where most of  your crops Will be  eaten by the birds. Then you need machineries for harvesting .   Our Somali peaple are not lazy they simply don't have the financial capacity to finance such kind of projects.   I advise  Those of you who  can give away 50 thousand dollars To start  a farming project in their own villages. 

The market is huge for every thing you can grow.   In berbera and hargeisa for example , we have two  flour processing factories    we can't even cover  10% of their demands.   They bring their raw materials from other countries.      If you are over 40 and earned well in qurbaha I don't understand what the fk you are still doing there ,  leave there now and  go back to your village.    Don't worry about the market at all .  Period.  Stop blaming the poor uneducated peaple , put yourself in their place.