Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Are you a Recent Graduate in London??

Sophist   

Salaams,

Below is piece which is written by a friend’s colegue at graduate forum (www.careerslondon.com). It is quite good. If you are a Londoner and a recent graduate and have difficulty your desired job Graduate Forum is your Door to the World of Work.

You can contact my friend at: shirwa@careerslondon.com

Enjoy the article.

Decisions!! Its that time of year, when you will have to make that life altering decision the 'career move' and everybody wants a piece of the action.

Job fairs and graduate schemes galore, in Tower Hamlets itself there are organisations and schemes available, including Graduate Forum, designed to help graduates into employment.

This year in Tower Hamlets alone, 600 graduates will be emerging from across the UK and the question on every graduates mind will be what next? Up until now it was all very straightforward, school, college and university. It was all a very nice, neat pattern.

Many of us graduate from university without so much of a clue as to what our next move will be. On the other hand, some do start their degree with a clear-cut plan of where they would like to see themselves in three/four years time. However, along the way our aspirations sometimes change, we change and at the end of completing that milestone, reality seems to paint quite a different picture.

The graduates of Tower Hamlets are extremely talented and gifted individuals. Most of who have come up trumps despite coming from the deprived, stigmatised backdrop of Tower Hamlets. But regretfully, a very high percentage of these graduates are not particularly confident, although they are graduates and thus manage to short-change themselves by taking up under-employed positions.

Those leaving university this year, may well be confused, but need to think seriously about what it is that they really want to do. Remember, just because you studied a particular field does not mean that you are restricted to that area alone. Employers are aware of what a valuable tool a degree represents and recognise any discipline learnt, will have equipped the graduate with transferable skills which can then be adapted to other areas. Many graduates remain unaware of this fact.

Graduates may not be the neediest of groups, but they are the faces of the future and Tower Hamlets Graduates are very much a part of that future.

Blessed   

Never mind the qualities of Tower Hamlets Graduates.

Is the job market as it stands capable of meeting the needs of the rising number Somali graduates in London?

There is a dilema in finding suitable jobs and to be honest with you, it isn't entirely the fault of the student.

A degree isn't enough, apparently.. and something needs to be done about it!

apparently there is a huge drought in London :D .

You can say that again LST, lets hope the monsoon returns in the economic order smile.gif so that the rivers of emplyoment are burgoning with Big Fish Employers

Faheema.   

Lets us not allow pessimistic views deter our efforts of getting the desired job.

Yes, it’s hard these days and there are a lot of skilled people out there who got the experience and the required degree. However, that doesn’t mean you haven’t got a chance. You do, and all you need is a little more determination. The worse thing you can do is give up, even if you have to do voluntary work for a short period to get some experience in your field, getting your foot in the door is all you need.

I am a recent graduate myself and after few months of my graduation I got my desired job (alxamdulilah). So, I am sure you can too.

All the Best

Macalin   

A suggestion to the UNemployed Grads...go back to school...it Helps

Ameenah...extend ur Horizons..Look far and Beyond! :D;)