Sign in to follow this  
suban

life abroad

suban   

Hi brothers and sisters. Life in a foreign country is hard, no matter how old you are and wether you are male or female.

We somalians are stuck with our culture, and it is hard to be traditional in a foreign country.

Our somalian mothers are srill trying to keep their children on the straight path, while our fathers have lost their status. Those of them who were respected in their country find it especially hard to cope in a strange country. It doesn't help when all somalians are said to be on welfare and involved in frauds.

I remember back in the day, when we were still a nation united. there was a support network and you knew who your neighbours were. You would hear if one of your children was involved in something that was considered wrong, and people generally looked out for one another.

Now we are stuck in countries that see us as a burdon. Some of us have gotten wrong ideas about integrating into the european system and have taken all the bad habbits of the country they are in. And some somalians are forgetting where they came from.

I'm lucky enough to still remember how sweet life was when we had our own country and were in a place that truly was home. Now I see that young people are finding it hard to speak our language. It hurts me to see my brothers behaving worse than anybody by selling drugs and drinking alcohol. And as if that wasn't enough, we are still looking down at one another. We are teaching our children that we are better than other somalians because of their life style.

I come from a family that has taught me that actions count more than appearance. So while I don't wear xijaab, I still have great respect for my religion, tradition and people. How many girls wear xijaab and still get around with their boyfriends? When there is a ruwaayat, what makes it ok to wear mini skirts and backless tops? I'm not saying that all my sisters who wear xijaab are willing to take it of at a party. Those girls who keep it real have my respect and admiration. But what makes it ok to ignore eachother on the street if one of us is weareing xijaab and the other isn't?

I always say "asalamu calaikum" when I see a somalian person. Last, I came across an old lady and greeted her. She gave me a dirty look and walked past.

What I'm saying is basically this, how can we expect people in somalia to act right, if we have come abroad with the same wrong acts and ways of life? After so many years of killing each other and being killed, so many years of being a refugee, way have we not learn our lesson yet? When will we learn from our mistakes?

I hope I haven't bored you with my opinion. It's just that I remember the way things used to be and see what has happened to us.

Paragon   

"I always say "asalamu calaikum" when I see a somalian person. Last, I came across an old lady and greeted her. She gave me a dirty look and walked past. ""

Lol Suban ... Wa calaykum waSalaam.