Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

Radio Galkayo - The only Community Radio Station

RADIO GALKAYO:

RADIO FOR PEACE

www.radiogalkayo.com

By Justine Lesage, Journalist, Special Collaboration

In 1991, at the end of a bloody civil war, Somalia was shattered into three parts: Somalia in the south, Somaliland in the north-west and Puntland in the north-east. None of the three territories is recognized by the international community. However, even though Somalia is still in chaos, the other two territories are blessed with autonomous and stable governments.

In Puntland a small group of Somali and Australian intellectuals set up Radio Galkayo in 1993. This initiative was born of the desire to reconstruct a country destroyed by civil war. With this medium, the instigators attempted to integrate all Somali communities in an effort of reconstruction. The group decided to set up in the town of Galkayo where there were several opposing clans, thus waging a frontal attack on its objectives: mobilizing the various communities, bringing the clans closer together, awareness and development.

Considering the oral tradition of Somali society, radio seemed to be the most appropriate means of reaching the population and playing an essential role in reconciliation and peace-building. The various leaders of the conflicting factions were invited to discuss their plans for peace and hold debates, bringing with them messages of peace. Weekly programs called on experts to discuss questions such as governance, peace, education. Capsules, produced by UNICEF, UNESCO and other local and international agencies were broadcast daily.

Radio Galkayo’s peace effort was a huge success in the area and even beyond. In fact, thanks to the help of its partners, Radio Galkayo broadcasts throughout the Horn of Africa, not to mention on its Internet site. According to Danielle Valiquette, head of the Oxfam-Quebec project: “Radio Galkayo is a catalyst. Other community radio stations have now emerged in the Horn of Africa. In Ethiopia we even support a small group which set up a primitive radio station, installing loud-speakers on the roofs of houses to broadcast music and community information a few hours a day.”

(Illustration: “Radio Galkayo’s mission is to encourage establishment of a long and lasting peace in Somalia and develop education programs free of any political or religious interest.” – Declaration of official mission of Radio Galkayo)

Today, even though reinforcement of the peace process is still the centre of Radio Galkayo’s concerns, it has enlarged its mission by introducing to its programming news of community and social interest. Items include health, education, the role of women, government and participation in decision-making.

“The thing that struck me when I first encountered Radio Galkayo was the passion and perseverance of the young founders of this peace movement. They worked flat out for a number of years, with barely a minimum of resources to survive, and succeeded not only in maintaining Radio Galkayo but in imposing it as a medium of reconciliation and development. Oxfam has had no hesitation in granting its support to this initiative.” Danielle Valiquette.

RIGHTS, INFORMATION, PEACE

In partnership with Oxfam Canada, the support of Oxfam-Quebec for Radio Galkayo takes its place in a much broader project. Since 1997 the program to strengthen civil society has been supporting participation by the budding civil society of the Horn of Africa in promotion and protection of human rights and in democratic development of the area. Here, information and communication are the strategic tools of intervention in the face of elements which engender conflict (eg. lack of confidence among the various components of society, extreme material poverty and physical and information isolation).

With the project, Oxfam-Quebec and Oxfam Canada support approximately 40 local partners such as Radio Galkayo and other community radio projects as well as the development of libraries, multimedia centers and other community information resources.

By Aden Nur Mohamed

Manager, Public Relations, Radio Galkayo

During the civil war, while the whole world was being apart, a group of young people with some older ones and a few intellectuals from Galkayo joined forces. Together, they advanced the idea for creation of a radio for peace: Radio Galkayo.

With the support of Oxfam, Radio Galkayo developed programs for peace which were heard throughout the country. With this initiative, we brought together communities at a time when no one even dared speak of peace and reconciliation. In partnership with other local groups and businesses we then developed other programs to continue our mission of peace. Without Oxfam, we would not be where we are today. This organization has done the most to establish stability for radio and consequently establish a more peaceful environment in Puntland. But the contribution to the peace and development effort also follows, for a large part, from our Diaspora. It is this effort of co-operation by all of us which will create a more peaceful world in which to live and prosper.

After the civil war, Galkayo became home to businesses and non-government organizations (NGO) which were very successful. Radio Galkayo is proud of having contributed to establishing a peaceful environment for companies to put down roots in Galkayo, Puntland and the whole of Somalia. There are numerous signs of success: banks, construction companies, water purification companies, businesses, airlines, factories, telecommunications…

There is no doubt that the most significant example is the Galkayo Education Centre for Peace and Development (GECPD). This organization operates to reinforce the ability of women to defend their fundamental rights. There is also the Y Foundation, a local NGO which contributes to conflict resolution programs, urban planning, health education and encourages community participation in the development of local projects.

My dream is that Radio Galkayo will continue to be a community radio, always promoting ideas of peace, love, labour and development in the community. For my neighbourhood and my country, I pray for more understanding, for peace and for a stable and democratic system.

Web site: www.radiogalkayo.com

Rahima   

Mash Allah, glad to finally hear more good news coming out of the horn smile.gif (especially from Gaalkacyo for Allah knows there hasn’t been much of it).

Seeing as my family is originally from there, i am more than well aware of how such an initiative is critically needed by the people of Gaalkacyo. I’m beginning to believe that they suffer from the disease of tribalism more than any other people of the horn, and inshallah this radio station will somehow serve as a cure (I can dream, can’t I?)

However, i must say i was quiet surprised to read that it was Australians that initiated the project, I’ve never heard of it!