Sign in to follow this  
Coloow

Are we really a nation of nomads?

Coloow   

Salaama, I am aware that there is a marketing aspect to calling ourselves nomads. Indeed the world appears to view nomadism and camel herding as exotic. This love for nomadic way of life (which ironically was seen by many somalis as a primitive way of living back there in africa) is visible in this forum. (we proudly display ourselves as nomad- look at the name of this thread for instance1 ) chances are that not many of us have had the honour to taste camel milk! yet again we pride ourselves with four legged animal.

but let us take a few minutes to reason here: Is somalia really a nation of camels? My guess is that most somalis are either farmers or entrepreneurs (LOL), small business. In addition there are some fishing societies. indeed camel herding is practised in various parts of our huge land area, but it is arguably not as widespread as cattle herding or sheep/goat herding, and in essence comes a poor four!

The camel in the somali culture has contributed to the many myths such as what our cultural heritage is. if you don't use a term that incorporates camel herding in your lyrics, for instance you would get the rebuff of WAXAASI MURTI MA AHA?

What do you people think? why are we fascinated by the camel?

I don't know if this figure is correct, but I've been told that a third of the total camels in the world reside or used to reside in Somalia. If that's true, then by golly we are a nation of camels lovers!

"Indeed camel herding is practised in various parts of our huge land area, but it is arguably not as widespread as cattle herding or sheep/goat herding, and in essence comes a poor four!"

Maybe, but cattle herding somehow doesn't have the same prestige as camel herding, does it now? A nomad's wealth and worth is measured by the number of camels he owns. And a geeljire is more likely to die from hunger, than to slaughter one of his prized camels.

Plus, is there a more precious gift than a camel? Methinks not! Which is why I'm trying to convince my grandfather to wed me to a fit geeljire wit many camels. smile.gif

Coloow   

salaama, Very true, indeed a third of the world's single Tuur camels (promedeur) do live in somalia. But what do those statistics really say? I would assume that half the world's warthogs live in somalia too!

I think it is time we rethink the camelasation of somalis!

Salaan...

Entre., a lot of people assume that most of us are all nomads or bear the heritage of being the descendant of a nomadic roots, but the fact is, surprise, surprise, we are not, just as you indicated.

Most of those who live between the two rivers aren't nomads, but pastorals. Or they are semi-nomads.

Originally posted by BARWAAQO:

Plus, is there a more precious gift than a camel? Methinks not! Which is why I'm trying to convince my grandfather to wed me to a fit geeljire wit many camels.
smile.gif

Barwaaqo, give me the seven digit numbers--or are they five?--of your awoowe. ASAP! orangebiggrin.giforangebiggrin.gif;)orangebiggrin.gif;)

Haashim   

I think we're REER TUULO rather than the geel jire, when we were at school in somalia we were taught that 80% of our population are NOMADS but later I realised they meant mxiture of TUULO & BAADIYE, if they meant pure NOMADS, in my view, they were wrong.

BN   

Entre,

Interesting topic. I think we should be proud of our nomad past. Most reports I have read on Somalia states that a majority(60%) are nomadic. I can understand where your coming from because this doesn't help Somalia become a developed nation. It must be hard to track down a nomad to pay his taxes :D But we have to remember that most of Somalia's GDP comes from exports of animals the middle east and the largest source of foreign currency. Remittences, crop production and fishing trail behind.

P.S. What do you have against camels?!? Bad experience? ;)

Coloow   

assalamu calaykum,

BariNomad quote:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.S What do you have against camels?!? Bad experience?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bari saaxib, I have nothing against camels or the nomadic life that our parents pursued. As a matter of fact my dad is still a nomad. However, I find the classification of the majority of somalis as nomads a fishy subject.

The traditional nomadic life is no longer the matrix of the somali community. In my view most somalis are subsistance farmers and traders. Unfortunately due to several reasons their activties have not come to the attention of somali students!