Sign in to follow this  
Caveman

Grassroots situations for the Somalia chaos…..would it accomplish any thing..?

Caveman   

First I am new here and with the recommendation of a friend I join this web site with delight.

I never though I would see Nomad website where Civil discussion over came narrow mindedness.

I am not here advocating revolution nor do I expect one from my people, but we really need to change our mindset.

Every society on earth has gone through its dark days, but the sad thing for us is we are going through ours in the 21’st Century. We can improve the daily live's of the people in Diaspora and the once back in Somalia by taking grassroots initiatives such as:

1). Colleges and Universities

2). Mosque’s

For starter we attend to Colleges and Universities in every city in North America and across the globe.

Since most of Somalia is filled with uneducated people, which helped few feeble minded bigots take full advantage of the situation by tribal alliance, I believe this educated generation can make difference in our communities by taking pride in what is good in our rich culture and eliminate its devious ugly aspects.

And the other point is Mosque taking part in discouraging or eliminating this tribal believes. At my local mosque every Friday’s Sermon is good and educational. This week it was about “fasting curtain day of this month”. The pervious one was “how to be good Muslim to your neighbor” or “how to raise kids in loving environment”.. etc. All these sermons are excellent, but since our homeland is in ruined and we are “Qaxooti” of world over. Can you envision, if Friday Sermon’s effectively assert their lectures on the desperate never-ending anarchy facing our homeland.

Since most of our people associate more with clan than religion, wouldn’t Friday’s sermons be a form to wake up people and affirm them killing, raping and degrading other Somalis simply for their clan affiliation can only lead the road to hell. Not that all of us are into tribal stuff, but I believe majority of us are reluctant to clean our hearts of the prejudice towards each other. One Sheik who attempted endlessly to wake people up from their fake tribal prides was Boqol Soon (pbuh). I hope lots of our local sheikh’s have the courage to face up to Tribal believes and help clean souls. Then lots of people would think twice before they sit around and rejoice

and support the death and destruction of their fellow Somalis.

Enough said...share your thoughs plz

Salaam Caveman,

I think you've touched on a very important issue.

In most parts I agree with you and if I try to answer your question, then I would say yes; I believe grassroots initiatives could accomplish a lot.

IMO, if you want to change deep-rooted attitudes or help the most needy section of society (those at the bottom), then bottom-2-top action would be a better policy to pursue than vice versa. Top-to-bottom initiatives rarely makes a difference in such situations due to problems such as beaucracy, corruption and plain incompetence. For example, if the government was to implement a legislation banning tribal discrimination, would that change our social attitudes? Not very likely. However, if those groups of people in favour of change were to actively work within the community and raise awareness of the problem, I think change- however slowly- would be more likely to occur.

Also as you stated, the mosque can be a very powerful tool of social change if correctly used. It is the centre of our communities (wherever you may be) and brings us all together. At the end of the day, however, I guess it all depends on how many of us want and are willing to work for a better society.

Welcome to SOL. I have a feeling you're going to be an important addition to our growing nomad population. ;)

Salam Calayakum

I would just like to echo Barwaaqo's wlcm and warm words, am sure u will enjoy s.o.l.

aND i can only join you in your vision Caveman. Indeed any positive changes aimed at improving the social condition facing somalis back home is of great interest to me, perhaps all of use i think.

You highlighted Colleges and Other Institutes of Higher Education, those for know clearly are the privilage that are enjoyed by those of us currently outside somali. And really we should try to organise ourselves, in our respective countries, to forming Groups/Organisations that would be dedicated to helping somali's in somalia/somaliland etc etc.

As regarding Maasjid's yes clearly they are of

the greatest importances. You have identified how they can be utilised to further and improve somali's, be re-engaging those of them, perhaps usual involved with miltia activities etc etc,

with Islam in its literal meaning, rather than an accepted tradtional legacy.

Yes we are going through our dark ages, unfortunately it is us who have to live through these evil days, but we are the fortunate ones and we should strive to acheiving as much as we can such visions as urs Caveman.