Sign in to follow this  
Mr Somaliland

THE PROBLEM FACING YOUNG SOMALI TEENAGERS

ALL THE YOUNG TEENGAERS ARE THE FUTURE OF SOMALI IN SO MANY WAYS. BUT WHEN YOU LOOK AT IT IN THE OTHER WAY THEY ARE SAID TO BE THE MOST UNDERACVHING WHY BEACAUSE THEY DO THINGS THAT ARE NOT MENT FOR THEM TO DO LIKE SMOKING DRUGS EATING KHAT, THE FUNNYEST THING IS EVEN THE OLDER SOMALI MEN ARE TELLING THE YOUNG ONES TO EAT KAHT RATHER THEN TELLING THEM TO STOP EATING.

80% OF SOMALI'S IN DA UK DONT HAVE A JOB

N.O.R.F   

this is a common problem in all cities in the uk.

I feel its a combined result parents not being there when their kids need them most, ie from 14yrs to 18yrs, for guidance on certain issues such a qaad, wrong type of freinds etc. Ok some may not have parents to fall back or rely on in certain situations. We are slowly but surely adopting the english mentality of not really knowing who we are, how to stay in touch with family and family freinds etc. Kids see this and think ef it, i'm with my boys/crew i will deal with family when i have time!

There are not many role models for kids to look up to and think, yeah i can do this, supposed role models are sitting in the merfish talkin siyaasad back home instead of thinking where are my kids today and what did they achieve today and where do they wanna go! Its a re-occuring trend now and ppl are just accepting it! I'm not one of them1

Liqaye   

I agree with what you have just said, but i thin that another very important factor is that we somalians have almost nothing to be proud of, other immigrant populations have the pride of the acheivements of their motherlands whilst we have almost absolutely nothing

N.O.R.F   

i would'nt go to lenghth of saying we are not proud ppl. but many of us are proud just for the sake of being proud, kids are not tought their history, where they came from, how the country was formed and the expected behaviour of a proud somali male/female!

i feel that these fundamental issues must be addressed!

Kool_Kat   

I believe Somali teenagers are almost the same, no matter where they are in the world... The way I see it is like "Dawacadii socodkeeda ka tagtay, tii nabigana gaari wayday"... I am not saying they are all the same, ofcourse, there are those who are still in school, have part time jobs, spend time with their family... BUT, those ones are very limited, compare to the Somali teen population...

I wouldn't blame so much on the parents, as the parents themselves have limited power... I am sure no parent in his/her right mind would want her son/daughter to be out of school, job, smoke, drink, etc... I see a lot of parents here in Canada, complaining all the time... Or my moms friends coming over and saying "Naa ma maqashay tii ina heblo ahey in a uur leedahay, uusana nin qabin" Or "Kii ina hebel ahaa gabar buu uureeyay"... People make mistakes, I just hope our teen can learn from their mistakes... And do better in life...

Drinking, doing drugs, getting pregnant at such a young age, being out of school, stealing cars, getting in to fights... AIN'T THE WAY OF LIFE...

GOOD LUCK TO EACH AND EVERY TEEN...

Zaylici   

There is nothing wrong with the Somali youth, it is the nature of youthness that people do all sort of things that young people do. That is not big problem. The problem is the social conditions that these young people find themselves, so they are basically trying to fit in and curve a nitche so that they could belong to a group. Human beings are social animals in the sense that they have the tendency to belong to a particular group. So, if you really worried about the Somali teenegers think about ways that you can help them.

Blame not the kids. Blame not the parents. Wait a minute, then who should we blame. US yes us. See when we were growing up our parents already accomplished their goals in life. so it was accepted for us to follow their foot steps. Everybody around you were almost perfect. Now in America the kids are surrounded by so many negative obsession the kids have to make a choice of who they crown to be their role models. Is it going to be my parent. A mother who doesn’t speak English and a father who is also lost and too busy discussing politics in fort of Donut Shop. OR is it going to be those boys that smoke, drink, half of their pants on the floor, have no concern about education, and so on. well they chose those guys because they say those guys at lease have some girls. (they cool). The fact is I work with this type of Somali youth. I have not met one single Somali kid who doesn’t wanna change his life style and belief me they are a good kids. It is on us (the blamers) to reach out for our youth.

I AGREE WIT U ALL IN MANY WAYS AND OF COURES OUR SOMALI TEENAGERS NEED RAELLY STABLIE MIND. THERE NEEDS TO BE LOACL YOUTH COMMUNITY WHICH HELPS THE SOMALI TEENGAERS ABOUT THEIR DEALIY LIFE.

DA_BEAST   

80% of somali ppl in U.K are jobless? man then how come they managed to send your ungrateful ass to private school then huh? well i'm not neccessarily in U.K but my childhood friends are there and tell me different and i believe them full stop. well come on now somali peeps why do we always like to tell each other a negative stories or false facts about each other. sine when did you see a 14 year old somali kid smokin' crack?15 year old somali girl with a ******* baby? come on we have to respect each other 1st and by reporting somebody's negative to the community ain't gonna solve things if not make them more complicated so brothers and sisters let's slow down a bit here and breathe in and out.

to the person who posted this please next time try to report the positive side of what's happening in your community so that we can all be proud of you please do that. :D

N.O.R.F   

I dont think we are blaming any one more than the other, the point of this post is to discuss!

I also work with the young ones regularly thru my youth work. Alot of the kids are in a bad situation, as in, no school qualifications, smokin, chewing etc. They are good kids but when they get together who nows what might happen. You try to talk, encourage but as soon they leave that door they feel no one will listen to them so they just give in and do the same old sh*t. they can not interact with the white ppl when they need to e.g jobs, college etc cos they are always in the same circles. So that needs to be sorted to!

Blessed   

80% of Somalis in the UK are job less huh?

Could it be due to the fact that the majority of Somalis are Mothers and young children?

As for the Teenagers:

I think it is a phase a lot of people go through. Rebellion is common in any group of teenagers, whatever their background. The trouble with us Somalis is that there is a great deal of dictatorship and not much guidance and support. We all expect and it is expected of us to grow into perfect human beings, that do as they are told....

you don't believe me.... sit with a group of elders and you will get 'caruurti we xummaatey, dhaqakii bey ka tageen' etc.. etc. These are usually people that don't eve take the time out to chat to their children about their dreams, aspirations and life in general.

Then go to the people that are supposed to be supporting and guiding the youth and ask them what services they over the youth .... 'nada'.

My locla Somali community has a youth worker, out reach worker and an education officer, yet the only services offered by that organisation is Translating. :eek: :rolleyes:

I think we need to be less critical and more practical.. Most of all we need a reality check:

Teens are humans, they make mistakes and not our puppets. Just because we have a problem with eating qad and not going to school.. doesn't mean that we should impose our wants on them.

The only thing you can do is give as much support to the young person, show them the opportunities and treat them like a person... rather then a wotless 5 year old!

N.O.R.F   

sister ameena, i agree with you 100%, but think of this. In our youth centre we have 7 youth workers, 4 blacks and 3 somalis, the somalis are all at uni and are therefore at uni everyday except for one who is both at uni and on placement at the same time. Every mon, wed, thur and fri the youth centre is open so we need to be present between 7-10m. We have sessions such as drug awareness, law-police topics etc, sex and in general just be there for them for any advice. These are good kids, most of the troublesome ones have problems at school at home and all. We take them on trips and even foreign trips. I feel that we are providing a vital support system for the youths in order for them to have a vision and hopefully aspire with our help.

I'm just saying alot more need to take the advantage of having such a youth system available to them!

• sister ameena, i agree with you 100%, but think of this. In our youth centre we have 7 youth workers, 4 blacks and 3 somalis, the somalis are all at uni and are therefore at uni everyday except for one who is both at uni and on placement at the same time. Every mon, wed, thur and fri the youth centre is open so we need to be present between 7-10m. We have sessions such as drug awareness, law-police topics etc, sex and in general just be there for them for any advice. These are good kids, most of the troublesome ones have problems at school at home and all. We take them on trips and even foreign trips. I feel that we are providing a vital support system for the youths in order for them to have a vision and hopefully aspire with our help.

I'm just saying alot more need to take the advantage of having such a youth system available to them!

For real Northner thats the nxt step we need to take, those of us who have managed to reach and complete uni. Inshallah i myself will get involved with this avenue soon in my area aswell.