Sign in to follow this  
KritiKal-Mind

Divorce resulted by family pressure! discuss

Many have asked why the divorce rate in the Somali community is rising. I have heard that family pressures are some of the things that result couples to divorce. I will bring more issues into light,,,

But now share your views and opinions with us.

Divorce, the haunting phenomenon that caused many of us to brake down with tears and regrets. But what are the types of divorce?

I am sure you all know the common types of divorce that take place oftenly in our community, but one type of divorce that makes me sick is, the divorce resulted by pressures from the couple's families, due to tribal affiliations or preference. I have seen many Somali friends of mine who have gone through this type of divorce. It does hurt to see them in a situation of confussion ochastrated by their own parents. So, I have been asking myself these questions; If my family wishes me all the best then should they aprove or disaprove my wishes? Like choosing who and what makes me happy, Is it not all about happiness and harmony between me and my family?

I just don't get it.

It didn't happen to me yet, but I somehow feel that my family may not aprove my future marriage, to someone I love so deeply that i consider to be my soul-mate. I have many female friends who are quite young interms of age, but got married and now are divorced due to family pressures. It is fair for parents to pressure their sons and daughters when it comes to who to choose? I know there is a tradition with which we have to observe, but then, some parents are prejudists and they themselves don't observe any tradition. All they may have in mind might be, oh! I want my son/daughter to marry a woman/man from his/her clan. So, is this morally justified?

Do those sisters who are left single mothers deserve this kind of treatment?

That is totally wrong.....I think the couple should make commitment before they get married that others won't control their lives!

Divorce rate might be rising in somalis and unfortunetaly the problem is universal in the west as the institution of marriage is falling apart!

Liqaye   

Just to show what we think of divorce look at this:

a mans wife leaves to England( jolly, and oh glory), she then writes a letter saying she wants a divorce.

The man instead of railing at such iniquities and cursing her very, proceeds to inform her that he will only do it if she seends him enough money to support his khat habit!

and you talk of divorce like it is a new phenomenon?