Sign in to follow this  
Abdinuur

DEBATE ON FEMALE CIRCUMCISION!!!

Abdinuur   

I just wanna hear some opinions on female circumcision/genital mutilation. What do you, both male/female, think of this debate and should it be something that should continued on and practiced?

I was readin' this stunning story about the author Weris Dirie entitled "Desert Flower: The Extraordinary Journey of a Desert Nomad" and I've also heard some opinions on the issue and I wanna see what you think... smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Admin (edited 01-04-2002).]

Buubto   

Asalaamu caleykum Wr Wb

First of all about circumcision is curl practice in our society. Depending on the way is being done, they do go over the line then wat the sunnah & the book of Allah says. Suni circumcision is allowed 4 females, as we all know they do cross the line and practice it like the fircooni’s used to do. This causes lots of physical problems 4 the females, which sometimes puts their life on risk.

Back to waris dire book, well her last book I haven’t read it yet, but I did read her other book. The lady is insane she is totally out of line. The things she says half of it is fake. She is not honest, she gave us bad name each accusing our men being women abuses, fathers who only care money then their daughters happieness, a nation that mistreat women & a monaster nation who just want to design the ladies in the way of men wants. Which is untrue. The reality is this lady just wants to sale her book so the reads thing that she is a true survivor in order to get money. subxaana laah. She is knowledge less both in Islam & our decent culture, the kufaars r using her so they can make us bad name in the name of Islam. All of this is publicity it isn’t the reality. Whoever got a heart I would recommend u not to read her book, and imaging she does not exist.

P.s the lady can't even wear the gabarsaar probably how can she present us somalis in general when she doesn't even know how to wear her traditional cloth? eek.gifrolleyes.gif

W/salaam peace smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Buubto (edited 01-04-2002).]

Abdinuur   

BUUBTO,

Glad to hear that. It's not cool for someone to talk about Somalia/Somalians in a negative way and I agree with you. You have nice points about the topic and we'll see what other people say or feel.

Salaamu alaikum, walaalayal,

I had the misfortune to throw away some money on Desert Flower and very much doubt I will repeat the same mistake with the new book. But let me not discourage you, however, I'd advice you to keep a rubbish pin close by.

Salaamu alaikum,

fatima

Salaamu alaikum,

As for female circumcision, in my opinion, this is an internal matter, and should therefore be addressed at a grassroot's level. We need to talk to the mothers, the grandmothers and the neighbors so that peer pressure to DO IT is minimized. And like all the other ills in our society, it is the lack of islamic knowledge that's at the root of this problem.

fatima

Ali   

well done buubto, but i want to add that there is a big diffrence between the sunnah and fircooni, so we have to focus on fircooni not on the sunnah way, because the sunnah way is neither harmfull nor illegal. but its good to use.

thanx again buubto to your spiritual comments

Hibo   

Fisrt,abdinuur this is a very sensitive issue to most of the girls....that it effects. FGM has always been debated on by many fighters be it for individual purposes or women's rights. However, me personally won't want it to continue. "Ilaaheyba naba cadibinee maxeynu isu cadibeynaa"..Allah has created women into a form He desired, n by performing circumcision is it to alter that design. Although most of the new moms have somewhat gained knowledge of the big effects it has on their daughters, and stopped it.. yet there r still those that need to be enlightened about this matter. Believe it or not my cousin divorced his wife, b/c she wanted to mutilate her daughters...given the fact that she herself was a well educated sister. Her only excuse was, it has been done to me....n I shall do unto my daughters.

Till this kind of mentally has been erased I don't see circumcision ending anytime soon.

About Weris, I don't think I want to read/listen to what a women, who has abandoned her culture n religion has to say....As far as I am concerned she is GAAL!!

Wa salaamu caleykum!!

[This message has been edited by Hibo (edited 01-06-2002).]

Hibo I agree with you girl.....

On the Issue of FGM... I'm against Fircooni 110%....... Suni as Ali said already is "is neither harmfull nor illegal"..... But even that I wouldn't Put my girls through it! I just don't have the Heart......

and Weris dirie.....I've nothing good nor bad to say about her!! Whatever she is we can see and Allah knows what is best and Most correct!! I don't wanna Danbi..

Ma'salaama

Hibo   

In my opinion we can all do without female circumcision. I don't think it has any benefits and only brings about health problems during pregnancy. There is no need to interfere in the way Allah made the female body. I think it is just perfect the way it is.

Hibo   

Weris Diiriye is now part of an 'elite' society, where fgm is such an alien concept.

The girl, finds her self in a dilema. She must explain, the turture she has undergone as a consequence of being born into such a barbaric (sic) custom. Her detachment to the honourable world of 'nomads' (?) is demonstarted in her world of fiction.

What really pisses me off, is the fact that 'miss glamoure' asigns herself as spokes person for somaali women. I know, that she is proberly doing this for persoanl gain....but,

WHATEVER happened to my educated somali sisters ... yes, the health proffesionals, the campaigners ... why aren't they doing anything about this....?

That is, if it bugs them so much?

Going, to the western media is not gonna deter an old somaali woman in the rural villages of somaalia, for whome FGM is most likely all that she has ever known.

Many of ya'll are forgeting that people attitude differ from society to society ... and just because we have a problem with a fgm, doesn't mean that sisters back home share our concerns.

Jaber   

Iam neither an expert on circumcision nor I approve of this barbaric act.However,I,have had the maximum displeasure of reading Waris's useless book,I spent an entire day reading it from cover to cover,in the end. I wished I never touched it.

Waris is the classical case of"from camel to cadillac",the whole book circles around her "private parts!!".I mean.Com'om,there're plenty of things one could come up with in addressing the taboo subject of FGM.

For Waris,an ignorant woman who've never picked up a pen or a paper to have written that book,is simply an insult to our brains,this is just another piece of the endless propaganda war being waged at non-western-like cultures,the filthy gaalo will do everything and anything within their power to deface our religion and way of life.

Sadly,in this case they've found a disgarce named Waris Diirie,The Un's special Ambassedor on FGM.

I wonder,what sort of educational backgroud does she have to hold such a high position?...Am sure there're Somali women and others who are more worthy of it!.Being a model and the wife of a drummer is no credintials.

The most embarrissing moment was while I read her pointless book,I came across a chapter where she is showing her private parts to this Jamaican friend of her's at the YWCA!!.Right there and then I was so close to vomiting.

unixguru   

One more thing, the UN special Ambassadors are only there for public relations. It helps if they are well known celebrities like Ms. Diirie.

I have not read this book, but I notice many of you don’t have a good opinion of Waris. Why is that, because she is a beauty model?

Jaber, I am tempted to read this book, although I don’t read much, as a matter of fact I never read novels willingly. But I am tempted to read this one because of all the controversy around it. Anyway, if it’s as crude as you make it sound I am not interested in it. But maybe it might be a good window into the understanding people like Waris.