Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

One of the Greatest of All time.........

One last cap for Baggio? Wednesday 17 March, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

baggio01news.jpg

Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni is ready to reward Roberto Baggio for his extraordinary career with one more Azzurri cap.

The legendary Italian, who netted his 200th Serie A goal at the weekend, is set to retire at the end of this season and Trap wants to honour the ace.

"I’ll have a word with him and if he agrees with the idea then I could call him up for game against Spain on April 28 (at Genoa)," said the tactician.

"It would be recognition for what he has given this sport. He could even wear the No 10 shirt because he is one of the No 10s that have made history."

Baggio won his 55th and last cap back in March 1999 when he appeared in the 1-1 draw with Belarus at Ancona.

The national shirt has always been special for the 37-year-old after his exploits at the 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cups.

He was hoping to take part in 2002 but, despite recovering from a knee injury in record time, he was left out by Trap.

"People tried to put us against each other but I was always transparent in my behaviour towards Baggio," added the Coach.

"Baggio has left a mark on the game and not only in Italy. The fact that he has now scored 200 goals is proof of an extraordinary career.

"In fact, he could have done even more in the game had he not suffered those serious knee injuries."

However, it is unclear at this stage whether Baggio would accept the invitation to play after he was overlooked on so many occasions in the past.

------------------------------------------------------------

Baggio crowns Cassano

WingA   

dats nice of him and he deserves the respect!! i remember him at italy 90 and wat a great football player..

My fav players of all time, used to like him back in '90 and still do. Looking forward to see him playing again in the Azurri shirt, what day that will be lol :eek:

N.O.R.F   

The whole reason of my infatuation with Juve, that goal when he came on as sub in the 1990 World Cup,,,,, :eek: , class player indeed!

Baggio: My time has come Saturday 17 April, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

baggionews01.jpg

Roberto Baggio has confirmed he’ll hang up his boots this summer and looked back over his eventful and often painful career.

“Deciding to give up football at the end of this season was a painful choice,” revealed the Divine Ponytail, “but everyone has to go through this moment and my time has come. I must accept that.”

The entire nation has been running a campaign to convince the Brescia hero to delay his retirement a little longer, but without success.

“This is a difficult time for me,” he told a RAI television programme. “I am trying to be philosophical about it, but it really isn’t easy.”

Fitness problems are the key to calling it a day at the age of 37, as Baggio has undergone six knee operations, the first when he was only 18.

“Thanks to this suffering I was able to mature quickly,” he revealed, “and become a man. Without the pain I wouldn’t have been the person I am today.”

Perhaps the most heart-breaking moment of his career was missing the penalty in the 1994 World Cup Final against Brazil, but he has learned to accept even that misery.

“The only people who miss penalties,” noted the devout Buddhist, “are those who have the courage to take them.”

He will be given one final Azzurri bow in the friendly match against Spain later this month, but Baggio's last League game is at former club Milan on May 16.

Baggio: Grazie Italia! Wednesday 28 April, 2004

Roberto Baggio claims this was the happiest night of his international career and took the opportunity to thank his legions of fans.

"I wasn’t supposed to be on the field for that long,” he revealed, “but the Coach left me on longer hoping that I might score. It wasn’t to be.”

The Divine Ponytail did go very close to getting on the scoresheet with a free kick and first half header, but after 56 caps his tally remains at 27 goals.

This friendly game became a celebration for the 37-year-old who will retire at the end of this season.

“This is very satisfying for me and I must thank all those people who showed me such affection not only tonight, but throughout my career.”

However, Baggio did not suggest he would be back in the Azzurri jersey for the Euro 2004 tournament in Portugal.

“This was obviously a very special night for me as it is the last one. I really wanted to play and unfortunately wasn’t 100 per cent fit, but I now have a few more League games left.”

The veteran was even in doubt to feature for this friendly game, as he suffered a slight muscular problem during Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Perugia.

“My leg troubled me again and this is one of the main reasons behind my decision to retire,” he confessed, “but I wanted this match so much that I played through the pain.”

The Stadio Luigi Ferraris was turned into a shrine to Baggio and he admits it was a moving experience.

“The nicest things said to me tonight were the banners and chants from the crowd. These are words that will remain etched upon my heart.”

There was also a special gift from his teammates to mark the occasion with a career first.

“I must thank Christian Panucci especially, as he was meant to wear the captain’s armband for the second half, but he handed it over to me. It was the first time I had ever worn it.”

Retirement now seems inevitable at the end of the season and Baggio tried to dampen reports he would stay on for another year at Brescia, Anderlecht or even Fiorentina.

“This moment is not easy for me, but it has to happen to everyone eventually. I thank all the clubs who have contacted me, but my choice has been made and it is unlikely I’ll go back on it.”

“I am nonetheless a professional and always aim to have the best, so if this means Euro 2004 I’ll be very happy. If not, I’ll still be content with what I have.”

Giovanni Trapattoni hinted during the press conference that he was considering Baggio as part of the squad flying to Portugal.

“Trapattoni said he leaves the door open for everyone and that also applies to me, but that is it. I already thank him for giving me this opportunity.”

When asked to look back over his long Italy career and find his favourite moment, Baggio took an unusual decision.

“Tonight is certainly the international match that I will love the most. In a career you go on to win many trophies and games, but it’s so rare to feel such emotion and love from a crowd.”

The 1993 FIFA World Player of the Year and Balon d’Or winner also mentioned who he considers to be his heir.

“Andrea Pirlo is a great player with immense talent and I think he will go on to become a fantastic star for Italy and Milan.”

Baggio is now walking towards the future and could give up on football altogether, although there are plenty of job offers as a pundit.

“I think that when I hang up my boots I’ll want to do something else with my life,” he smiled, “but we’ll see what happens in the future. Thank you to everyone.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Salaan...

There are only few men who ever graced the game that have had such a deep admiration and reverence from me personally. Roberto Baggio is undoubtedly one of them.

The few venerated men that ever wore the number-10 jersey to play football, Baggio is one of them.

The few men I ever admired and still admire, off the field and on the field, most wore that well-regarded number--number 10.

Roberto Baggio {Baajiyo} Gheorghe Hagi {Xaaji, with his elegance one-touch style, no doubt he's my all time favourite who ever played the game}, Lothar Matthäus {Matiyoos, my second favourite, if there wasn't xaaji...}, Michel Platini {Balaatiini, my third favourite, and ooh, my vague-boyish memory is affixed that missed penalty kick in 1986 World Cup quarter-final against Brazil and, oh, Zico missed too, that made me happy}, Hristo Stoichkov {the tempestuous guy who taught the world in '94 how to free kick a ball and any goalkeeper's nightmare} and of course Zinadine Zidane {Ze-Ze, quite quiet, a real man}.

With these men, my fascination with Baggio was introduced. He played for the only franchise team I ever cheered in any sport, my Old Lady team--the beautiful Juventus, along with Gianluca Vialli, the good old bald guy and Fabrizio Ravanelli, the other grey-haired guy. With these three, back in early and middle '90s, each game Juve. played was elegant, exceptional.

Baajiyo, we will miss you and your ponytail. And surely, we will and can forget that nerve-racking, disheartened penalty you missed against Brazil in '94.

N.O.R.F   

With these men, my fascination with Baggio was introduced. He played for the only franchise team I ever cheered in any sport, my Old Lady team--the beautiful Juventus, along with Gianluca Vialli, the good old bald guy and Fabrizio Ravanelli, the other grey-haired guy. With these three, back in early and middle '90s, each game Juve. played was elegant, exceptional.

Maan just thinking of those games on Sunday afternoons back in my school and college days is facinating, Juve were the team,,,,,

I dont know what it with Robby Baggio, i think we all know a gr8 player when we see one, without doubt he was a truly awesome man, on and off the field, yr model pro, elegance on the ball, craftmanship in his speciality (those free kicks he swings over with pace,power and precision),,,,big up Baggio :cool: