Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

Shut off the lights!!

Johnny B   

If you've came to read what happens when the lights are off, am afraid i've to disappoint you and tell you to stop right about now and hit the 'BACK' button of your browser. icon_razz.gif

Yesterday was the day i deliberately shut off the lights in my house and parked my car for 5 minutes to just contribute to the enviromental health and thus hopefully help reduce the effect we human beeings have on the climate ( global warming).

Today in Paris , for the first time the human effect on the climate has been scientifically accepted.

Would my fellow SOL users join me in this effort ?

-Lily-   

It's an ongoing effort Jonny B, no?

There are a lot of little things you can do on a daily basis, if you do that continuously you might not save the world, but at least you'll die with a clear conscience.

Johnny B   

Yep Lily , its an ongoing effort !

An effort that SOLers can't dare miss me thought.

Maybe , its about Time SOL starts giving away GREEN badges to the most enviromental SOLER.

What do you think?

Yesterday, I got a roving email telling me to switch off my lights for five minutes, between 8.55 and 9pm last night, in order to make a joint global statement. But I forgot to. Bummer. :(

Reer London are probably the most green nomads in here. Mainly because they only have baths and so resort to taking baaldi-showers, which is good for the environment. :D

"Reer London are probably the most green nomads in here. Mainly because they only have baths and so resort to taking baaldi-showers, which is good for the environment. " am on the floor hahah whats wrong with baaldi baal

NGONGE   

Val, I always told you to move away from that run down part of London but you never listened.

cynical,

Yoko Ono was born senile, not to mention vulgar. For better feminist signatures check out some of the quotes of Dorothy Parker. At any rate, they’ll be more refined and subtle than Yoko’s gutter putdown. :(

STOIC   

Jhonny, I am really joining you on this effort.The science underlying global warming is getting clearer.People always want a hot shower in the morning, but they don't really understand what makes the water hot.If every memeber of this wonderful website understands how energy can be conserved we will be really helping our environment become cleaner.I honestly think that pollution is the cancer of our earth.The sooner big corporations like energy companies realize it the better.If only the big companies accomadated decsions on environmental stewardships.

The public like you and I can help by eliminating or reducing environmental burdens by turning off that light for five minutes a day.We can't expect to promote eco-effeciency without eliminating waste.Companies can help us by designing eco-freindly products.Creativity is the way to green.

I have a bone to pick with the Republicans in this country.I do understand that every business faces countless decisions on how to spend the next dollar.But I doubt few dollars set aside for green initiatives would bring loss to the company.It is time to think beyond the outmoded mindset of the republicans thought of fattening the CEO's pocket.As the changes in climate is becoming more documented Americans policy makers needs to understand deep down the reason why the earth is becoming warmer.

N.O.R.F   

Why does it take a big conference to inform people that humans are at fault for global warming? I was surprised this wasnt official already. What about cows passing wind?

Stoic, i know this is a big issue with you environmentalists but even if things were done ie everyone adhered to the Kayoto Protocol and did their best, we would still see rapid global warming.

Today i filled my tank for just 50 Dirhams (about 7 pounds) and i will do it again in midweek. The biggesy polluters are Arab countries!

lol@baaldi bath

Shakti   

^oyeeeeeeee did i just get big breakthrough on my fight against fairy arabs! I tell u im not worried about global warming as longest we have global fairies 2 worry about :D

STOIC   

Northerner;

I doubt if we will see as much rapid global warming if every country abides with the Kyoto protocol.I am not an atmospheric scientist, but I will try to explain it to you how the green house gases reduces the earths ability to radiate heat back to space.As you might know carbon dioxide emissions comes from the burning of fossil fuel.These emission normally comes from transportation, commercial, and manufacturing.These gases persist in the atmosphere for decades.It doesn’t mean today the emission your car emits would affect the climate immediately.These gases blanket the atmosphere in a long period of time.Whatever measures are taken today would mostly help the next generation.Imagine the atmosphere lifetime of carbon dioxide being 50 to 100 years.Not to mention the other contributing green house gases such as methane and nitrous oxide which also persist in the atmosphere for a long time.

Scientist are today sure that there is a decrease in daily temperature differences.And a decrease in snow and ice cover.This did not just happen overtime as you might know that carbon dioxide concentration has been increasing in the atmosphere since 1750.Scientific consensus that human are contributing to climatic changes is stronger than ever.I remember one of my Air Quality professor explaining to us the anology of faucet dripping to human cause of climate change.He said, and this is logic by the way, as long as the water dripping in the bathtub is equal to the water draining in the drains, the tub will not overflow.Unlike if there is mismatch water coming in to the tub to the one draining where you would have spill over the sides.

If you look closer to the scientific litreture that is out about these climatic changes, they all conclude that countries that are closer to the equator would be heavily hit by these changes.Most of those countries are poor countries.Imagine a poor country hit by Katrina.