Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

What Would You Do?

Nephissa   

Let's say you received a gift from a family member who obviously didn't put a lot of thought into it and bought you something cheap and ugly that they know you would never want or use.

What would you do?

Haneefah   

A gift is a gift. I would accept it, thank him (I am assuming it's a him because usually it's the brothers who don't put much thinking into gifts and who are sometimes dookh-challenged, speaking from experience :D ), and put it aside in case I might want to give it away or just donate it to Salvation Army.

About the monetary value of gifts, I have an issue with people who make a fuss about that. For me, it's really about the feeling, effort, and creativity that goes into gift-giving rather than what it's actually worth; even if it's a mere pen, I would take that as a nice gesture.

p.s if it's from the husband, then it's something different altogether, lol. Still, I'd overlook it for the 1st time.

NGONGE   

^^ I am sharp and can get a message fairly quick. After years of noticing my gifts in the possession of people other than the ones I gave them to I realised that it is just pointless and a waste of time to buy adults gifts.

My mtoher once laughed at me when I bought her a shampoo-set on mother's day. I saved my pocket money for that gift dammit. I never bought her a gift since. She still laughs. :mad:

Blessed   

No, JB.

He went on to commit more gift blunders. :D:D

I take whatever I'm given graciously and try to find a use for it. If not pass it on to someone who'll use it.

p.s Maybe they just felt obliged, I saw a brother buying bags and bags of Londonis because 'waa laga sugayey'. He bought some gorgeous xariir and kanebo for his mom. Genius! :D