Sign in to follow this  
underdog

Killings shock Somalis

underdog   

Sat, December 6, 2008

Killings shock Somalis

By CLARA HO, SUN MEDIA

The tight-knit Somali community in Edmonton is demanding answers after Tuesday's homicide victims, fatally shot in separate incidents, were identified as two of their own.

Police have identified the man found dead in a field in Grand Trunk Park near 109 Street and 130 Avenue at around 9:30 a.m. as 23-year-old Abdul Kadir Mohamoud of Edmonton.

Later that night, police were called to a parking lot at 148 Avenue and 89 Street at around 10:20 p.m. where they discovered the body of a 21-year-old man, identified as Ahmed Mohammed Abdirahman.

Mahamad Accord, executive director of the Alberta Somali Community Centre, wants to know who is killing who and why.

"It's a shock to us. We are trying to grasp what happened," Accord said. "But we aren't detectives, we don't know all the facts, so we want to talk to police."

The two latest victims - Edmonton's 31st and 32nd of the year - bring the total number of Somalis killed this year to five, he said.

On Aug. 24, Mohamed Ali Ibrahim was shot and killed outside the River Cree Resort. A month later, 22-year-old Nasir Mohamed Said was found dead behind Balwin school. And on Halloween morning, 21-year-old Abas Akubar's body was discovered near 140 Avenue and 92 Street.

All five victims were from Ontario and didn't have any family in Edmonton, making it harder to solve the mystery of their deaths, Accord said.

The first step is to have open dialogue between the community and police, as well as community members and the Somali youth, he said. They are starting with the Youth for Change meeting today at Killarney Community Hall at 3:30 p.m. to help young Somalis avoid a life of crime

Source

I took part of the janazah prayer on one of the victims the day before yesterday.

things are getting worse .. this is at least 4 young Somali men from Ontario killed in Edmonton since Ramadan.

I don't know about the most recent ones .. but the police were saying the 1st two were drug/gang related and noone has been arrested for any of them yet !

Baluug   

It's sad, but Alberta's become the latest place to have a lot of Somalis getting killed, Allahu naxariisto to all of them. There was also a Somali killed in Calgary during Ramadan, who was allegedly into the gang thing, and one in Brooks who got killed, who was actually one of the first Somalis I met. I think the majority of these guys came from Ottawa.

ElPunto   

^Warya - don't be dissing your nation's capital.

Most people go to Alberta for work - Somalis go there to get shot.

AUN.

Kool_Kat   

Most of these young guys leave Toronto running from something, be it life of crime, gangs, drugs, etc...They think by going to Alberta their life will change, what they fail to realise (I think) is that the change has to come from within...Some also move there to make a quick buck and move back to Toronto...

Allaha unaxariisto kuligood...

Calibeesteenkii gang ah ayaa qaarkood dilay la yiri maadaama afaarahooda dhex galeen, maandarooyinkaas iyo waxaas kale suuqa madoow ugu ganacsadaan.

Meeshee tagaanba dadka meesha horey u degnaa isku kiciyaan, iskuna taabtaan iyagoo waxba hubsan.

Eebba ha u naxariisto masaakiintaan geeriyootay.

Baluug   

Originally posted by ThePoint:

^Warya - don't be dissing your nation's capital.

LOL it's not a diss, it's true from what I've been told. There was actually mugshots of 4 or 5 Somali guys in the Calgary Herald a few months ago, all came from Ottawa, wanted by the cops for one thing or another. I don't know what's going on here, but it ain't good.

Kool_Kat   

Mustafa Mohamed Mussa's family will bury him today in the country where they sought a future free of violence and death.

Mussa, 24, was Calgary's first homicide victim of 2009, dying during a fight outside a northeast bar while celebrating New Year's and a friend's birthday.

Police have charged two brothers with second-degree murder in connection with the altercation at Coyote's Bar and Grill, and are still seeking a third suspect.

"My son is dead and there's nothing much I can do, but I'm hopeful the (courts),which have the power to do something about it, will restore justice to my family," Mussa's father, Mohamed Mussa Elmi, said through a friend who provided translation.

Mussa was born in Somalia, but his family fled their home in the northern city of Borame as civil war wracked the country in 1991. They settled in Ottawa, where Mussa grew up.

"He was someone who liked to play sports and liked school," said his brother, Ali.

Ali, a second-year student at the University of Ottawa, said his older brother wanted to continue school himself but needed to work to raise money for tuition.

"He had to come here (to Alberta) to work because school's expensive," he said.

Mussa's father said his son moved to Brooks in 2006 and had been working at Lakeside Packers and restaurant jobs.

Elmi was visiting his son in Brooks last week and said Mussa went to Calgary on New Year's Eve to be with friends.After spending some time at a friend's house, the group headed for Coyote's.

"There was a disagreement that occurred inside the pub. Later in the evening, it moved outside and became more deadly, unfortunately," said homicide Det. Patty McCallum. "We have a pretty good indication of the motive, but at this point, we're holding back that information."

During the altercation, Mussa, a staff member from the bar and a third man were injured.

None of the three men knew each other, said McCallum, adding Mussa may have been fatally wounded trying to break up a fight.

Although Elmi isn't entirely sure what transpired the night his son died, he said Mussa was typically level-headed.

"He was a very calm guy who never hurt anyone," he said.

Mussa will be buried today in a Muslim cemetery northwest of the city after traditional Muslim rites and prayers, Elmi said.

After leaving the strife of their homeland, having Mussa die at such a young age is "very painful," he said.

The pain is shared by leaders of the local Somali community, who said 11 Somalis have died violently in Alberta in recent months.

Mudhir Mohamed, president of the Somali Canadian Society of Calgary, said the community's grief over the deaths has been compounded by the fact the victims were hard-working immigrants who haven't been involved in criminal activity.

Many of the cases are unsolved, but Mohamed praised police and members of the public for their role in bringing about arrests in Mussa's case.

Northwind Hart, 32, of no fixed address, was charged with second-degree murder Friday.

His brother, Kendall Brian Hart, 22, has now also been charged

Another one gone, another mother sheds tears...Alla caruurtaan Soomaalida ilaahoow usoo maciin...

Allaha unaxariisto, janadiina kawaraabiyo...Cidiisana samir iyo imaan allaha kasiiyo...