Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

The woman's place is indeed in the House

Democrats have chosen Representative Nancy Pelosi to be the first female speaker of the House, in the wake of their victory in the US mid-terms.

Former House majority leader Ms Pelosi will succeed Republican speaker Dennis Hastert, who leaves the job in January.

The speaker is second in the line of succession to the presidency, behind the US vice-president.

Democrats, meeting in a secret session, remain divided on who should succeed Ms Pelosi as majority leader, reports say.

The party was deciding whether to back Ms Pelosi's choice of a former soldier and leading Iraq war opponent, John Murtha, as House Democratic leader, or her long-time deputy, Steny Hoyer of Maryland.

The full House will formally elect a speaker when it convenes in January under the control of the Democrats for the first time in 12 years. Ms Pelosi is certain to win.

The position brings with it the power to appoint politicians to chair key bodies such as the Judiciary and Intelligence committees.

Widely respected for her organisational and fund-raising skills, Ms Pelosi has a low public profile compared with the Democrats' other female big-hitter, Hillary Clinton.

Ms Pelosi represents a liberal San Francisco district and analysts say her personal voting record puts her to the left of many in her party.

Number three in line for the presidency in case you or somebody accidentally shoot Cheney and Bush at the same time :D . N how about democratic nomination for Hillary in 08. Does she have chance?

Paragon   

^^Oh, you were ready to unleash hell on Che, I suppose? Lucky him, far iyo cidi ayuu ku baxsadey smile.gif .

Lol@incase you shoot the president and vice president lol. That tendency seems to exist.

Che- I myself came into the topic just to enjoy seeing you recieve some whooping :D . I am disappointed!

SeeKer   

Nancy Pelosi had to eat crow today because Hoyer is majority leader over Murtha, whom she supported. What shocked me though, was Trent Lott's win over Alexander for the Minority Whip position. I didn't see that one coming. :eek:

I will be looking forward to Hillary's candidacy in the presidential especially after seeing her going after General Abizaid. :D