Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Gello - The proud Soma

Where do you live and Why?

Sometimes living in London can be the best thing in the world. Its a large city and attracts so many different people - which is reflected in its cultural diversity and hertiage. Its has become the ultimate destination for somalis around the world. Some are attracted by its social provisons, others by employment opportunities, family reunifications and the like.

I understand many of you live around the world. In Somalia, Africa, Middle East, Europe and North America. Why are you attracted to these places, what makes your city and country attractive to live. Would you live in London if you had the choice?

Some of the people in this forum live in places like Estonia, Ireland and Turkey to name but a few? Why do you live in these places. Wouldnt you rather live in places settled by other Somalis?

Cheers

Mr. Gello - The proud Somali Man

Evening mr Gello

I live in a small town located in the province of ontario, canada.

Its about an hour from toronto, which I think you and most people here are familiar with.

I like my small town, so much so that I wouldn't trade it for the world. My small town is far enough from city life, but short drive to the city whenever needed.

If I must pick a livable city, I probably would want to live in richmond, or victoria, british columbia CANADA. No other place can replace my small town.

About london, I have visited once, I will probably go back sometime soon. More than anything, I will be there(closer in the stands) and watch and scream my lungs out for usain bolt's repeat performance in london 2012.

That said, when I last visited london, I wasn't impressed by the city at all. Too many indians for my liking, too many shops, just way too many people for such a small city. I don't think london can take the world and its citizens all for a good 2 weeks in 2012. You have your hands full.

I was in south, north and east london. In total, I was there for a good month, I loved the shopping, but living in the city? No way

I still cherish my memories, but one thing I dislike more than all else is meel ay somali ku badan yihiin. I love my people, but I don't want to live around them, I prefer to be an outsider and thats just my preference.

During my childhood yrs, I enjoyed going to schools with minimal colored folks, and especially zero somalis. I love living in neighbourhoods with limited colored folks and not just blacks, but asian, latinos.

My thing isn't against somalida, it is sharing my living space or neighbourhood with folks of color.

I hope I answered your question sir.

Baluug   

Interesting look into the mind of Layziegirl :D But what town do you live in? I thought you lived in Toronto, maybe it's Kingston....

Anyways, I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, a fast-growing city with a population of 1 million and quickly rising. This place is starting to get better, but honestly I'm not here because I really want to, rather it's better for me and my family to stay here rather than move. At least the weather is half-decent in the winter, considering this is Canada.

As for London, I absolutely loved it and can't wait to visit it again insha Allah. It's the complete opposite of Calgary in regards to culture, the different kinds of people, the restaurants, and regrettably, the number of jobs. I'm not sure if I'd want to live there because I think it would lose its appeal after a while, but I would entertain the thought of living elsewhere in England, like Leicester or Sheffield or some place like that. But I'd say my ideal place to live would be Toronto.