Sign in to follow this  
Ms_Paradise

WHO AM I?somalian or an arab country or an american

Oh my sister you are so lost. First of all Somalis are NOT Arabs, we are African and we should be proud to be. I know several Somalis who think that they are better than other Africans simply because we do not look like all Africans, but the truth is we are AFRICAN and we should love our African brothers and sisters as we love our Somali brothers and sisters.

Abaayo, I wasn't born in Somalia either and my accent is horrible when I speak, but that does not make me any less Somali. Is it my fault that I have never been to my homeland? No! But it is still my homeland. When asked where I am from I proudly say Somalia, I do not say Canada because when someone asks you where you are from they do not mean your country of citizenship, they mean your country of origin. You should realize now(and I'm sad to see that you haven't realized it already) that you will ALWAYS be seen as an immigrant and never a true citizen, a piece of paper does not change your identity. I do not mean to be too harsh, but I think you need to be told bluntly. I hope you got the picture.

HONEY-D   

LET ME C IF I CAN HELP U SINCE U SEEMS 2 LOST UR IDENTITY.

1) UR SOMALI OUTSIDE ( as 4 da color of ur skin)

2) ARAB INSIDE (AS FAR AS UR HEART GOES).

3) AMERICAN (mind wise) SINCE U CONSIDER URSELF AS BEING AMERICAN CITIZEN).

SO MA DEAR SIS UR THREE IN 1 WAT MORE COULD ANY1 WANT. I GUESS TRINITY IS DA WORD THAT COMES 2 MIND. :confused:

I HOPE DAT HELPS. ;)

Muslimah   

Bismillah Ar-Rahman Ar-Rahiim

All praises are due to Allaah. We praise Him, we seek His help and His forgiveness.

WHO AM I?

Very interestin stuff. I wasn't born in somalia, never been to somalia. Born also in an arab country. On top of that, ima canadian citizen. So who am i?

Yo, isn't is obvious? I'm muslim. Aint like Allaah gonna judge me on whether or not i'm somali. After being muslim, I'm somali b/c my dad is a somali and so is my mom, wouldn't ya know! And I just happen to live in canada.

This idea that we have 2 love our African bros and sistas is 2 funny. Arent Morocco, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt all in Africa? Wouldn't they classify as our bros and sistas? So what makes someone an african? Is it the dark skin? If so wouldn't some Indians qualify too? Would my mother be then disqualified?

I dont love ppl cuz they somali, or from africa or b/c they kinda look like me. I owe no allegiance 2 such ppl. I LOVE muslims be they from china, new york city, guatamaela, bangladesh.

Allaah says that He has created us from different tribes so that we may get to know one another. So ppl get 2 know each other.

Ms Paradise: as long as u practicing the deen, u'll culture differences wont hurt/bother u as much.

If I have stated anything wrong, it's from myself and the shaytaan. If I have stated anything good, it is only from Allaah, the Most High. O Allaah I ask u to accept this from me. Dear reader plz say amin.

And Allaah knows best.

Well firstly i would just state the obvious and remind ur not a country :). I would then suggest to u that ur somalian and not an arab, although where are very closley related. And lastly that it is through which ever enviroment u grow up through that ur gonna relate and attach to so if u have grown up in the states then ur an american/somalian muslim with arab ancestory :).

Hope that sloves ur dilema

Changed   

somalians that is what we are ;) ........ i u did not know i hate the idea of being called an arab :mad: they look at as the black people and if u ask me we are all african and then somalian ..........nice question dow smile.gif

Changed   

i wrote my last message with our reading her concersns ............. ;) ow girl i grew in four countries with different culture like u did and i am not confused and i am hoping u are around my age .......one thing that helped me was making sure i had somali friends that i hanged out with...now that iam in college most of my friends are not somali and i find comfort by joining a somali community like this one its self............have fun and hope u find ur identity.. icon_razz.gif u can do the same thing worked for me hope it will for u...

peazeeeeee