Sign in to follow this  
Resistance

INDECISION

Yes i am still undecided on who will win the world cup.

But i have a more important indecision with regard to my work, so lets see if SOLers can help me decide.

I been offered an opportunity thats too good to turn down, is the perfect role for me, but here's the catch is only a two-year contract and further contract will be subject to funding.

Currently am in a very secure job but the department offers very little promotion opportunities but at least is permenant.

So do you guys think i should quit and take my chances elsewhere or stay till a more secure oportunity arises. ?????

nafta   

I'd say go with the new job. I don't know how long you've been with your current company, but what's to say they won't fire you after a year. No job is ever air-tight and secure. If you take this job, you will have something to add to your CV and when the contract runs out, more opportunities out there as you'll have a lot more experience to offer.

If you have the vision and determination, you won't have trouble finding another job after the two year period. So make the best of this opportunity, and who knows, they might be so impressed they'll offer you more funding ;) .

-Lily-   

I think you already know what to do when you say 'perfect role for me' and 'too good to turn down'. Taking risks even in jobs is normal, if it will develop your career and steer you towards where you want to be then go for it. What's the pay like :D no you should do it regardless.

If it depends on funding it might well be continued, people are made redundent all the time. Nothing is secure, it's always exciting to go for change.

I think a two-year contract is great (unless u plan to go for a mortgage within those two years). It's just long enough to really get into the role, gain excellent experience and see some difference in what you do, but not long enough to get bored and/or disillusioned.

There are no 'jobs for life' anymore. Permanent jobs are only good if you don't like change or if you have major responsibilities, otherwise they are a waste of time, talent and better opportunities.

If there is little prospect for promotion and/or continuous training and development...you are in the wrong job, mate. It's not what you can do for the company, it's what the company can do for you. If they can't help you progress, there are better options out there.

I wouldn't think twice about it, anigu.

Good adive girls ... am at ease with my decision now.

actually i just spoke to them and they have fundin to March 08 which is less 2 years but still i will go for it.

P.S if i fins myself without work then u three will have chip in,

Baashi   

Go for it buddy. As others have already pointed out there is no such thing as "secure job". Consider this move as a career change! A one that is "a perfect role" for you. It is very important that you like what you do for a living. It seems to me that this will be the case with the new job. Take a calculated risk sxb. If I were in ur shoes I would accept the new offer.

Good luck!

Zafir   

Originally posted by Hizb_UK:

P.S if i fins myself without work then u three will have chip in,

I second that.