Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

PBS Frontline - The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan

Abtigiis   

My afghani collegue who said he knew this is practised in Afghanistan could barely hold back his tears after watching the video. It seems seeing the faces of the victim boy immensely pained him. Here is what he wrote to me once again:

I watched the video, damn, damn, damn,

I have no words to express my frustration, sorrow, and embarrassment.

Abtigiis   

Taliban fought it selectively. They turned a blind eye if their memebers are caught doing it. Remember Talib's are part of the society and may see no problem with the practice.

Karl, it is like our Al-Shabab. Clan is everything in Somalia and it is not very odd if a member of my clan in Alshabab or even Ahmed-Madoobe catches me letting my loins at the limps of women and turns a blind eye. Remember all the ones stoned to death so far by Alshabab belong to 'untouchable' clans!

NGONGE   

^^ Same thing exists there too. Not everyone likes it. But these things do exist. :D

Did you check the clip I posted?

yeah real shocker, had no idea the Ayrabs did the same. so depressing and embarrassing. just posted it on my facebook wall and none of my many asian/arab and afghani friends have commented yet. :D

Being the natural cynic i am, just wondering why PBS decided to show this historic practise now. it wouldnt have anyhting to do with taking the limelight away RCC scandal now would it? smile.gif

B   

This is clearly the work of liberal western propagandist trying to defame the Afghani culture and Muslims. I think we need to see things in perspective and not jump to condemning the Afghani traditions. This ancient tradition has been practised the world over, so must be aware to understanding that it happens in Turkey, Arabia as far as Papua New guinea, where a young boys dancing for village elders is often seen as evolutionary step towards manhood. In Papua New guinea, it is also said that its the duty of the village elders to molest young boys as a rite of passage towards manhood. of course molestation might have an entirely different context than what we are bombarded with by human right activists. This is sanctioned by their customary law. Its not paedophilia, because that is western idea.

There are bad cultures in every society, this one maybe Afghanistan's shame but be objective and see it in the wider context of human nature.

B

it is also said that its the duty of the village elders to molest young boys as a rite of passage towards manhood. This is sanctioned by their customary law. Its not paedophilia, because that is western idea.

I'm sorry amigo but what have you been smoking? how can it not be paedophilia to molest young boys by grown men. Paedophilia is not only a western idea, and occurs across many races and cultures, its a disease period.

wanting to take a boy home after his sultry dance has worked up into state of arousal is nothing short of criminal intent. watch the video and stop talking bullshit young man. its as backward as female circumcision.

B   

my friend, morals values are not universal. Each society has its own moral code. The west is very good at putting degrading names on and denigrating (root word Negro; meaning to blacken) those cultures they consider repugnant and against natural order of things, in other words their moral codes. Also my friend, what other societies consider be a social norm, might have a different interpretation in another society. People are different and careful considerations must be made not to subsume all people under the liberalism agenda.

Who are we to make assumptions on the Afghani man in the video, we mustn't assume because of the way he laughs. You cant base your 'criminal intent' on such shaky grounds because we haven't seen him commit the act in question or even confess to it.

Polanyi   

Originally posted by Sherban Shabeel:

If I hear "the West" one more time on this forum I'm going to vomit.

Romanians aren't really westerners anyway. They are from the ancient RamRUM people, cushites who used to live in Berbera, modern day Somaliland.