Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Before you rush to that Phone.....

Khayr   

Salaamz,

The other night I was driving and was listening to the local college station, when the Topic of

Spousal Abuse came up.

Well this old man called in, I'd say he's 50+ and told this story about how one night him and his girlfriend got into a fight (I think that they live together )/heated debate. So his girlfriend made a comment like 'I know of a way to get you out of here' and proceeded into her room. 15mins later, her boyfriend who's an old man (50+) hears a knock on the door and lo and behold, its the cops. They arrest him and charge him.

Well, he informs the cops that he has never touched his girlfriend or any women in his life. There were no marks on the girlfriend and no proof except for a statments from her.

So they decide to charge the boyfriend and lock him up for the night and take him to court.

Time for the trial comes up, and the girlfriend tells the judge that she wants the charges dropped. Well, the court says that, the charges can't be dropped and that it is out of her hands.

Anyways to make things short, the laws say that

in the case of spousal, family abuse reports, calls to the police etc., charges can not be Dropped, regradless if the Caller/"Victim" calls in or comes in to court to drop those charges.

So the Male, who is usually the Accused, is Charged and Jailed and sentenced (at times) without Evidence. Accused of a crime wherein there is No Evidence. Its like calling u a Terrorist and arresting you cause someone said you had a bomb on you just cause the didn't like you :eek:

So, I was just wondering of any nomads

that have had any experiences with Domestic disputes and these TYPES OF CALLS.

I'm not trying to be a 'Macho', 'Pig', 'Xaasid', 'Women Hater' etc. but you know in Somali families, alot of sistahs use this threat of calling the Police on either their Husband, Cousin, Brother or any male etc. that they get into an argument with and

shout 'ABUSE, I have been Abused' to the Police, and before you know it, the children don't have a Father anymore in the house or there is no more the presence of a Male in the household. :(

In anycase, please share your thoughts!

Fi Amanillah