Sign in to follow this  
pimpstress

BEING A TEEN IN AMERICA

Its very difficult being a teem in America because you have so many different cultures around you. Teenagers are treated like mindless creatures. People assume that our brains are not functioning right and that we can't tell the differences between RIGHT or WRONG. Somalian people like to associate with only somalians and if a person chooses to be come friends with people of other races they find it odd. I am 17 and i'm at a stage of my life where i'm always going out and that means meeting new people. I don't really associate with somalian because the once that live aroound me are older or younger; so i associate with teens of other races. My friends are black puerto ricans and mexicans and the Somalian people find that odd. The important thing to me is that my parents are comfortable with my friends and indeed they are, so why do other somalian try to presuade them to not letting me kick it with them. Somalian women and men which i have no clue to who they are come and tell me that i should stick to my culture and that anybody who is not somalian is ''DIRTY'' and''HAS NO MORALS''. I just want to know what Somalian people have against other cultures. So please tell me is this is just the area i live around or do all Somalian act this way. Please share you're thoughts and feelings.

DON'T BE SHY........LET IT ALL OUT

ALLWAYS SPEAK YOU'RE MIND

BYE

Pimpstress hon not all somalians think alike or act alike for that matter. I'understand in your circumstances, meeting the rite type of somalians whom in fact are the same age or intel level is hard,but that shouldnt stop you from kicking it with your non-somalian friends. I personally believe that its the individual who makes their decision whether the effects influence you or not are give and take..never sure of na'mean. I know what you feel, i lived in a state where there werent that many somalians to chill w/ and the onces that were ,were either drugez,hoes, or had some sort of other bad repitation and i choose not to surrouund myself w/ that kind crab..so moral of the story is, if you cant find somalians of your level and indeed you find it w/ non-somalians then eh, you make em your friends. The only reason why somalians might give you an eye here or there if you're w/ a non-somalian is simply because they have this mentality that you will lose your culture and relgion (and sad to say but in most cases its true..if the indivual so chooses it to happen) But if you keep both ends at a balance, you'll be fine...just dont forget your roots n faith...until whenever...holla (hope that helped somewhat)

p.s welcome to the thread

*1'

Hey pimpstress I feel yo stress. Its soo tru, having friends from outside the community is frownd upon. I am also one of those people who never associated with Somalies even though I would have liked to simply because there was none around who were on my level. Never the less its the type of person you are. Just because you have a black person as a friend it doesnt mean you atomatically become a *** or a junky. And like any other race there are plenty of Somalies who dont need much help to carry out acts of evil such as drinking/taking drugs etc. as they are perfectly capable of doing this on their own. So Girl as long as you do the right thing and dont forget to follow your religion and your culture keep doing yo Thang and good luck!!!! :D:D

Nailah   

Damn, I go threw tha same things daily, you know what, dont mind them, if you feel comfortable with tha peepz you chill with, then so be it, ya know. I dont chill with much somalis, cuz theres not alot my age, at my school, in toronto. so i mostly chill wit blacks, and some mixed ones. the somalis that chill with somalis, think they are better for some reason? fukk that! anyway, chill with who is worth chillin with aight, wether they are black ,white, or yellow(latino) aight, cuz ya dun know, it aint nobodys business. im just telling it like it is.

Miriam1   

Umm maybe the reason they are frowing upon you is that u hangout with non-muslims not neccesarily non-somalis.I have never had this problem as i always had friends who were Arabs, Sudanis, Pakis..but i never was able to have close friends with non-muslims..i dont know why. it all came down to trust and similarities.

Ariadne   

I know this is supposed to be a serious topic, but I automatically think of that song in clueless when its first begininng called we're the kids in America (its also in the digimon movie) redface.gif

As for people coming up to you and asking you what your doing with non-somalis as friends just tell them its none of their business who you choose as your friends and your not living to please them.... (you can get creative and add stuff here like fall in a hole somewhere or you can end it there)

Pete   

Well,

we have a fosterkid at home with somalian origin, I wish he was a little bit more like you. We live in Europe and are a multicultural family (swedish german swiss). Indeed we like to respect his way of life, but the problem is that he is quite selfish :( We have some reasonable rules in the family of which he thinks "what the **** does that concern me? I don´t belong in this family anyway" Well, he wanted to live with us in the first place, do you have any ideas? :confused:

Zamia   

Hi

To the girl who posted the topic i just wanna say, I live in london and i understand the problem you're having but suprisingly over the years somali people have become less nosey when it

comes to what race you hang around with but they are just as spiteful and interfering as ever.You know some people even tell me it's not good to hang around with somali's as they are lazy and can be a bad influence on me never the less altough i understand what they are saying most of my freinds are somali and thankfully really nice people but yet i have many non somali freinds that are blacks and asians.

And to Pete

Mabey you should give him a bit of space as he obviously feels out of place Fostering isnt easy i have an aunt who is a foster mum and she used to have problems with her foster children but she sympathises with them and gives them a bit of time and space. But your attitude doesnt do any good for the situation...the whole "He wanted to live with US so it isnt our fault" isnt gonna help he is young and needs some time to adjust so give him time.. it cant be easy for any of you.

BLA BLA BLA OW PLZZZZZZZZZZ SAVE THE BULL-SHIT

IM SICK AND TIRED OF XALIIMOOZ SAYIN;;

"MY FREINDS ARE BLACK"

"MY FREINDS ARE WHITE"

"I DONT HANG AROUND WITH SOMALIANZ"

"I THINK SOMALIANZ ARE ODD"

"I HANG AROUND WITH MEN INSTEAD OF WOMANZ"

WHO CARES WHO U HANG AROUND WITH ...WELL I DONT --

LET ME TELL U OR GIVE U SOME TIPZ...STOP GUAANIN LIKE SOME THING ELSE AND KICK BACK..AND FIX UP..

WE OUT THIS PLACE--OR SHOULD I SAY BALAYS

zynab   

hey pimp it's really dosn't matter who you hang out with just as long as they have a positive influence on you. most of my friends are white and asians and some indians.this is cause they go to the same university as me so it is not my problem that i don't have any somali friends .

so girl chill out and concentrate on something worthwhile and those people that came up to you that say that kind of shit, believe me have got a lot of time on their hands