Sign in to follow this  
macalimuu

In Loving Memory of “Magool�

November 29, 2004 - 23:48

In Loving Memory of “Magoolâ€

“A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a songâ€

We all lost someone especial when the Queen left us earlier this year. But her memories would never leave us. Some of us are able to impersonate singers but Magool was the real thing. She inspired a lot of today’s talents with her courage of expressing love through music and literature when such thing was still taboo in Somalia, especially for a woman. What is it that stands out in our memories of the queen? I, for one, it is the 27th of June 1977 the day Djibouti got its independence. Living in Mogadishu at the time as a teenager and listening the historic event on radio Mogadishu as Halimo sings with her impressively touching and sensational voice a never before heard and newly composed Republic of Djibouti National Anthem. Rumor has it that it was created on the spot. Huuh, What a talent?

Those who new her well says, from a very young age her remarkable singing voice was apparent. It was both front and back loaded with catchy vibrations, especially her long throat singing sound-like tunes. It contains a variety of moods, tempos and sounds - the product of a legend reaching for the brass ring. Halimo has always been my favorite and still is perhaps for many. I never thought she came up short. The energy, the colorful expressions, the wink aimed at the silly boys, the way she articulates lyrics, every song without competition was a gift.

She sang in a style that hadn't been heard before, with a soul touch for the bass note and a tap dance for the anticipated Uud-Guitar melody, and at a time when singers started copying her gifted talent "Under The Double clutch voice" with all the modern music instruments up behind them, this woman hunched down over the old band and made a singing line that was beautiful and treasured. They could not touch it. She made mediocre musicians play excellent piece of music. She could sing like a teenager in her first love or a grownup woman with a broken heart. She could articulate life of violent emotions, vivid love life, celebration of pleasure or acute capacity for sadness, all, in a lyrics filled with changing tunes and zealous expressions. There is something about Magool’s relaxing tunes that could always take your breath away."

A poem begins with a lump in the throat; a homesickness or a lovesickness. It is a reaching out toward expression; an effort to find fulfillment. A complete poem is one where an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words. --Robert Frost

Although the relative acclaim didn't translate for her to big financial successes, at least by the world standards, and she never enjoyed the fruits of her efforts, this woman was still magnificent. She was an artist and there was no slightest pretense in her. She sang traditional songs, and even composed a most romantic tribute to a lover. It is said that “Music is the purest form of art... therefore true poets, they who are seers, seek to express the universe in terms of music... The singer has everything within him or her. The notes come out from his or her very life. They are not materials gathered from outside.

May the angels bear her up, and may eternal light shine upon her, and may she run into a lot of her old friends, whom gave us as much such as hers Omar Dhulleh, Ahmed and Mohamed Moge and the rest who all gave us everything they had for FREE. The question is, when the living legends, the likes of Hibo, Hassan, Khadra, Maandeeq,Sahra, Igal, Zainab Cigeh, Fadumo Qasin are gone, are we in the mercy of these electronic singers? No more passion? Play screw up Reruns after reruns? No more personality? I have seen people singing sad lyrics with the accompanying harmonic and still displaying smiling face. Haven’t they ever learned from Zeinab Cigeh? Discussing this subject with a friend of mine in London two weeks after Magool passed away in March this year, and he mentioned an event where one of these modern electronic singers even played “Sida Rucubka Naasahan Hadba Soo Ruxaayoo†the only problem is he said the singer was a man!! Respect for lyrics? Forget it. One thing these electronic singers can count on though, at least these people we call our kids in Diaspora don’t even give a dam.

Let us try to celebrate the lives of our artists like Huryo (mainly known for his comic roles) but was a master composer and orchestrated most of the melodies of the top 50 Somali songs. They never got rich or even got the respect they earned. If Huryo was an American, he would be Richard Pryor and Quincy Jones combined. Let us carry with us forever the sprit and the love they had for their work, especially the one and the only, the queen, Halima Khalif “Magoolâ€.

May your shadow pass in pirouettes - of such amazing grace,

That the tears of those who mourn you – Disappear without a trace

In a smoke that shapes their sorrow – to the fading of your feet

In a ring around the rainbow – where the circle is complete."

And my dearest queen of all queens, “MAY THE SUN SHINE WARM UPON YOUR FACE IN THE HEAVENSâ€. Thank you and good night.

Abdirahman Waberi

Washington, DC

Awaberi44@aol.com

NGONGE   

“Sida Rucubka Naasahan Hadba Soo Ruxaayooâ€

What does that mean? :confused:

I probably don't want to hear the answer. :(

NGONGE   

^^^ :D

First of all, let me tell you that I have some sort of idea of what those words mean. An idea, mind! I could be right and I could be wrong. If I'm right and it is as dirty as I think, then, well, erm, I'm shocked! :eek:

If I'm wrong. Thanks for confusing me even more with your hints, dear. :confused:

My name is N-Gone-Gay. It's a popular name in the Congo. I don't know what it means. :D

Edit:

I also have no idea what this means "midaan inaad iga dhaaftit" :(

NGONGE   

^^^ Cajiib! Heh. Ok, for you, magaca wan badalaya..QOROX ayaan eso bixin :D

Anyway, maxad la xishootay oo wax ween ka digtay? waxan aan copygareeyay so hees may aheen? hees meel walba lago qaado oo xita caroorta maqasha? ano waxan kaa filayaay(adiga eyo cida kale ega jawabi laheed) enaad ego tedhaahdan waa hees xun, bila edab, shidh! oo aan ka hadalno heesaha somaliga eyo say lo qora marmarka qarkood.

ma garatay? ma fahmino?

(abaayo, walaalo ,huuno malab, af somaliga ega yaree dee..waan ku xiiqa). :(

** Starts coughing **

^^aboowe, walaalo, huuno macaano...markeeda kow eeyba eheen in erayadaas oo kale hees laga dhigo. maxaa naagaha loo bandhigayaa? wax yaalah qaarkood in laga xishooda wey iska fiican tahay

teeda kale waxaan waad ii jawaaboosaa but you are not online...I can't see ur name on the thingy and btw u r 2 slowwww

NGONGE   

^^^ I'm not too slow. The site was slow last night. I was online lakin magacayga ayaa eska qarsan.

Jamal_11 ya baryahaan arkay..esaga ii fasiri lahaa heestan ;)

Jumatatu   

“Sida Rucubka Naasahan Hadba Soo Ruxaayooâ€

xaaji Ngonge this more or less means

'I C ya baby...shake that a***'

So you can probably figure it out now