Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Who Speaks for Islam? What a Billion Muslims Really Think

Gallup posed questions that are on the minds of millions: Is Islam to blame for terrorism? Why is there so much anti-Americanism in the Muslim world? Who are the extremists? Where are the moderates? What do Muslim women really want?

Who speaks for the West?

Muslims around the world do not see the West as monolithic. They criticize or celebrate countries based on their politics, not based on their culture or religion.

Dream jobs

When asked to describe their dreams for the future, Muslims don't mention fighting in a jihad, but rather getting a better job.

Radical rejection

Muslims and Americans are equally likely to reject attacks on civilians as morally unjustified.

Religious mainstream

Those who condone acts of terrorism are a minority and are no more likely to be religious than the rest of the population.

Admiration of the West

What Muslims around the world say they most admire about the West is its technology and its democracy -- the same two top responses given by Americans when asked the same question.

Critique of the West

What Muslims around the world say they least admire about the West is its perceived moral decay and breakdown of traditional values -- the same responses given by Americans when posed the same question.

Gender justice

Muslim women want equal rights and religion in their societies.

Respect

Muslims around the world say that the one thing the West can do to improve relations with their societies is to moderate their views toward Muslims and respect Islam.

Clerics and constitutions

The majority of those surveyed want religious leaders to have no direct role in crafting a constitution, yet favor religious law as a source of legislation.

Wakh Wakh iyo Waali = my 2pennies on the subject

SeeKer   

Thought I should resuscitate this topic for a bit. Having gotten tired of hearing some negative slant of Islam on the news lately I thought I would find solace in looking at recent Gallup polls. The only one I could find about what Americans think of Muslims was released in 2009.

43% of Americans are prejudiced against muslims compared to 16% (Jews) and 18% (Christians)

53% had a non favorable view of Islam with 9% being very favorable and 33% being somewhat favorable

63% had no knowledge or very little knowledge of Islam

47% of Americans do not know any Muslims redface.gif

2/3 of the Islamic coverage in the news has focused on military and fundamentalists

I wonder if they did the survey this year what they would find? Who really represents your religion apart from you?

In my neighborhood alone there are about five Muslim families but you don't feel their presence. I really think every muslim in the US should institute a 'get to know one of my neighbors each month' by inviting your neighbor over to dinner or going over and saying hi and introducing yourself. We can't expect someone else to stand up for us and represent us. We make the ummah and therefore we should individually do what we can to debunk this myth of Islam being violent and militaristic.

STOIC   

Seeker,

Check out this new Srbi/Times polls...

Nearly nine years after the 9.11 attacks, a large segment of Americans remain critical of American Muslims. One in four (25%) believe that Muslims in the U.S. are not patriotic Americans, with another 21% not sure.

Tough times for the Muslims as the American strain of Islamophobia is on the rise during this election times..Though sadly misunderstood by the paranoid Americans,Muslims in this country are one of the most educated communities. Muslims feel like the actions of few have tainted the wider contribution of our religion to the American high level of ideals we all read in history textbooks....I'm sure many Americans in major cities must have had a Muslim doctor or college professor. It is useful to remember that this is a religion of God, he will protect it.

Polls

SeeKer   

I am not asking people to protect it but rather present a clear picture of what Islam is and who Muslims are. Taking initiative instead of whining about our portrayal in Media outlets.

SeeKer   

Saw an article written by Qasim Bashir (writer of the movie Moozlum) that fit in perfectly with my thoughts and feelings today.

While standing in line at the airport, it's no longer a question. I approach the counter and immediately tell them to call their manager because they'll need extra approval to allow me on the plane. When finally in my seat answering a phone call, the looks I get from surrounding passengers as I greet with "Asalamu Alaikum" is a type of fear that I've never seen, one that cannot possibly be sustained in the face of all that this nation is up against.

I was raised in Michigan, where I always attended public schools. I was a decent student, played sports, served on student organizations and was even homecoming king. I have always believed in the ideals of this country, and because of that, I beat the odds and followed my dreams of becoming a working film writer and director. But at some point, I and many others who share my faith became the Other. I became one of "them."

When I turn on the TV and see another broadcast displaying Muslim extremism or terrorism, it makes me cringe. This feeling persists primarily because there are people doing these terrible things in the name of Islam. They go against everything Muslims are supposed to represent and make the lives of many people here very difficult. We have to live in fear not only of terrorists but also of being associated with them. To make things worse, there has been an unyielding and unapologetic attempt to push it in our faces for the last decade. If we're talking real numbers here, Al Qaeda represents less than 0.1 percent of the world's Muslim population. How can the actions of such a small percentage serve as the representation of a group so large?

Now this idea has manifested itself in a crucial debate, and the issue on the table has the potential to deny American citizens their basic constitutional rights. There needs to be the recognition of the problem of this argument at its core: by going against the building of a mosque near Ground Zero, you're essentially associating the ideals of extremism and terrorism with every peace-practicing Muslim American. I am appalled by this association and disappointed that so many fellow Americans have taken that stance instead of believing in what this country has represented since its birth. If this freedom is defeated, I fear what's to come.

This is not a plea for sympathy; it is a call to character. It's not a question of whether or not we should or shouldn't. Once we get past the unreasonable debates fueled by emotions and illegitimate accusations, we know what's right. As the leaders of the free world, we cannot afford another embarrassment of this magnitude on our record. It will again, in a crucial time of rebuilding, question our validity for years to come.

When I wrote my film "MOOZ-lum," which speaks about the Muslim-American experience, I had no idea so much would be at stake; I simply wanted to give a voice to a generation that is often drowned out by the heavy volume of extremism. But alas, here we are. And I'm willfully submitting my film into the discussion, hoping that it will be able to shed some light and humanize a group of people who have been demonized for far too long.

When all is said and done, the compelling statement of freedom that the construction of this mosque represents can be an ultimate sign of our country's progression

Source