Sign in to follow this  
qumane

Google earth wonderful program for modern nomaders

qumane   

The free version of Google Earth does not allow you to do certain things, like produce paths. After producing some stunning tour animations on-screen, I quickly wanted to be able to save them as a movie. The problem is, you can not save movies unless you buy the $400 Pro version of Google Earth.

The heck with that! I figured once it was displayed on my screen, I should be able to save it. So I did.

Starting with the free version of Google Earth, I installed FRAPS, a program that saves the video from programs that use DirectX (mostly games) directly to the hard drive in an uncommpressed avi format. Works real nice, makes good quality movies, but with a very large file size. Fraps uses a codec that can not be read by anything else. So, using virtualdub (installed on the same PC as FRAPS), I converted the avi to a much smaller Divx Avi. From there I could edit/play the video on anything, like my Mac!

LANDER   

only a small dose of things to come I think, google earth is suprising in its accuracy specially around major cities around the world. I could spot where I lived in toronto and the surrounding areas like the cars, basketball court etc...