Sign in to follow this  
Caano Geel

A treat for your ears

Ok, personally, i never was fond of somali music, mainly because, even though i speak somali, i didnt have clue what they sang as soon as they opened their mouths, and the clangy guitars (yes you know the ones i mean) just bought with them too many over tones of, well, crap bulgarian music that's just dicovered the electric guitar and a horn section.

But i've since grown older, wiser and possibly lost a bit of my hearing and love the stuff -- so long as its not clangy. So for those of you who appreciate Somali and African music in general, the BBC (which should realy be the SBC) has great site (use the links). So show your support so unrefined, outa-touch nomads like my self can get to know more.

Also if any of you real nomads have any ideas (other than cleaning the wax out of ears) as to how i can decipher the words from the background wall of sound, your suggestion will be taken on board.

Warmoog   

Lol! I've recently developed a taste for Somali music myself. So far my favourites are Hassan A. Samatar and Khadra Dahir. Those are the big two, but I like various others as well - Seynab Cige, Ahmed Naji, Sulfa... though I feel like I'm gonna go to hell whenever I mention his name and music in the same sentence.

Trust me Caano Geel, you're not the only one who has trouble understanding the lyrics. Some singers are more difficult to comprehend than other I find, but you could try looking for written lyrics on the net. I came across one such site, but their collection is limited and appears to be for songs from the good 'ol days.

Still, it's worth a try: http://www.geocities.com/faaraxc/heesso.html

I think most of the younger generation will warm up to Somali music sooner or later. I just have to get used to hearing up-coming singers ripping off famous people's songs. But it's all good, I guess. My next objective for mission "Reclaim Your Culture" - go to a ruwaayad and/or aroos. The sad truth is I've never been to either. Shocking? :eek: Believe it.

Salaama.