Sign in to follow this  
BoX of ChoColateS

What is censorship?

I was reading washingtonpost.com when I came across this piece by Bashir Goth. The article perplexed me because it made me question some fundamental truths about what journalism is, who an individual is in a muslim community and their role in it and finally if we have lost our way. What is censorship?

".....Freedom of the press in the Muslim world cannot be separated from freedom of expression in general. Journalists, due to their conspicuous public role, risk their lives everyday. They have been targeted and killed in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Palestine, Somalia, Sudan and other countries. The Muslim world is not a friendly place for freedom of speech at all.

Journalists, creative writers and artists all share the same fate. The writer in a Muslim society is in shackles. Every time I put pen to paper it is a struggle against the tyranny of community-imposed self-censorship. Nowhere is Rousseau's statement that "Man is born free; and everywhere he is in chains," truer than in the House of Islam....... read on