Sign in to follow this  
SJ

Colombian town tells gossipers to shut up or else

SJ   

BOGOTA, Colombia, May 17 (Reuters) - Bad-mouthing your neighbors can land you in jail in one Colombian town after the mayor banned gossip.

Ignacio Jimenez, mayor of Icononzo, southwest of Bogota, told El Tiempo newspaper he decreed the ban because loose tongues can cost lives in Colombia, which is in the grips of a guerrilla war involving Marxist rebels and far-right paramilitary outlaws.

Justifying his decree, the mayor said at least eight people were in the local prison accused "purely by gossip" of being members of the outlawed, Marxist-inspired Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia.

People could also be killed just due to rumors they sympathize with one of the illegal armed groups, he said.

He and other backers of the decree, which went into effect this week, say people need to think hard before making unfounded allegations. Failing to do so in Icononzo can now result in fines or up to four year behind bars.

:D:D

%^That city will soon be a A GAY CITY.

I mean its either the women will end up in jail or move!.

its a scienctific fact well known to MEN that women cant stop romour mongering. its in their fabrics.

:D

.Disclaimer: The Above statement was made in a joking,jesting and jittery moment,you should not under any circumstances take the above statement serious, if and when you do,well then oh well! :D

Qac Qaac   

Hey Gossiping is Haram anyways.. so I agree with the mayor, although i think, putting someone in jail for that is a bit too much, but hey he knows his town.. if it is leading to death i guess he is right...

so I agree with the mayor

Qac, Not to burst your lil 'Qac-Bubble' or anything, i dont think the MAYOR asked for your opinion.(and if he'd read this,you will prolly wanna write it in Espanol) ;)

pose on that for a minute will ya? icon_razz.gif

Qac Qaac   

Afro, i was gonna give the answer u deserve, but u r lucky Qac has changed.. besides i think this is a forum, where ppl exchange ideas, opinions, maybe i am wrong of what i think of this place.. u could enlighten me if u want..of what shall we do in here..

besides this is a forum, where ppl exchange ideas, opinions,

For real?

Shoulda Known man.

maybe i am wrong of what i think of this place.. u could enlighten me if u want..of what shall we do in here

Didnt You just tell me its a forum where people exchange idea,opinions and recipes?? icon_razz.gif

Wah! :D

lol@xu!!!.... dont u just love how loose nomads tongues r?

i am like rumours ville??? i am not a FAANISH person! but i gotta work for living.... last rumour that i heard about myself is that!!! roll the drums!!

"i am from puntland" actually this rumour turn out to be a blessing!!lol.. since ppl that had this rumour were PUNISH (anti-pland)!!

next day, at starbucks, after they cleared the rumour, i was showered with laites!! :confused: