Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Police Brutality of Somalis in London

My question is what's the best way to approach this problem with the youth?

Ismahan, very well put.

I would like to take the opportunity to answer your question.

It is never too late to get involved in your child's life.

Parents need to be more involved, take a pro-active approach.

Extra curriculum.(It gives them something to do)

It is never too late, so get involved and get it going.

I am not sure if I said this before, maybe I did but, sometime oct/november of 2007, I had attended a youth appreciation night with a friend, it was hosted by a local youth organization.

This particular organization did wonders with the youth that were being appreciatedthat same very night. It was relatively new organization, 2 and a half yrs, or was it 3 yrs running, it started with just one man, and now they have a staff of 10 people and a number of volunteers .(they are still growing)

What inspired me that night was the children that were being rewarded with sponsorship prize for their studies. Amazing to say, 6 of those boys had no chance to even live, and now they have all graduated and are on their way to college's, universities.

One of the boys I speak off attends pilot school and few yrs prior, he was incarcerated, go figure.(He had no one, atleast no one to call a parent, until the founder of the centre visited him at juvi one day, and thats the day his life changed)

These youth's were former gang members, gang leaders, some were previously incarcerated, some were on the verge of being locked up, some came through court order.

All of these children shared one thing, they were all from broken homes. They had no one to turn to when things got tough, they had no one but their friends, and they weren't so lucky to have met good friends, like you the reader or I.

Some of us are very blessed, because we have caring family members, loyal friends, and some just aren't that lucky.

The point is that these youth turned their lives around, they took charge of their lives with the help of the founder(the courageous man I speak off) and with the help and his board of directors(which consists of family members as well as non family members)

He reached out to our community leaders, such as the local principal of a high school who heard of his program, and a judge who had most of the boys in the centre at his court one time or another and a few former parole officers, current ones, as well as a bank manager who heard the program through word of mouth.

Everyone wanted to help, so they came together and they lend a hand to the hero I speak off.

Each day, this man will get up, will go juvi detention centre's to see if any of the boys there wanted someone to talk to, to listen to.

He even met some of the boys at a court house.

These boys I speak of, have seen and been involved in some ugly things in their young lives, but it wasnt doomed just yet, and the same can be said for our youth today and tomorrow.

Kudos layzie. Ur so sweet when ur not ranting. ooh ranting makes u ugly compared to what i just read.

So far, this is the best article i read in SOL for the entire 2008! very uplifting and yes our youth are/will not be doomed insha Allah. Hope there will be more of thsese kind of heroes.