Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

The Football Association for making midfielder Christian Negouai, a devout Muslim, br

N.O.R.F   

You are in: Home > Football > Premier League

KEEGAN HITS OUT AT FA

Thursday 6th November 2003

More Premiership stories:

Ranieri still eyeing Premiership

Unsworth wants Everton stay

Results

Fixtures

Top Scorers

Sinners

Tables

Opta Stats

Manchester City boss Kevin Keegan has hit out at The Football Association for making midfielder Christian Negouai, a devout Muslim, break his Ramadan fast to supply a urine sample.

Keegan believes that The FA have been over-zealous in their nature towards drug testing, forcing Negouai into taking a test earlier this week.

Negouai, who had been fined £2,000 after missing a drug test last season, had to drink water to give a urine sample when testers from UK Sport again picked the Frenchman for a test after training on Tuesday.

The 28-year-old was distraught at having to break his Ramadan fast and Keegan was unhappy at how the whole situation was handled.

"I don't want to make a big thing about this because I haven't spoken [to the relevant people] but, if I am being honest, Christian is very upset about this," said Keegan.

"On the one hand, I am saying to him, 'If you don't take the test it will look very suspicious.' But from the other end it is his belief, his religion.

"It's where the crossover comes in and we have to respect it. He was forced to drink water so he could get a urine sample, and he didn't want to do it."