Sign in to follow this  
sheherazade

Mourning over and out

I hereby declare this period of mourning on Women over. Has the cat been going around collecting all your tongues? Ladies, ladies, how can that be when there are men to nag, huh? There is hope yet. I'll start us off gently: shoes.

-Amy Lillard

source

The way I see it, high-heeled shoes are the means by which the female gender can be divided.

Oh sure, there’s others. Careers, sexuality, hobbies, thong or cotton underwear, but really, the use and/or abuse of that bizarre paragon of female sexuality, the high heeled shoe, is the crux of the matter here.

This is important now because it seems that in the ebb and flow of fashion that dictates what we use to cover our nudity, the current style is the highest of the high heels. The heels that seem to draw a vertical line straight up from the ball of the foot into the heights of feminine glory and pain. The heels that balance a woman’s weight upon her tippy toes and a thin spike which seems logically bound to snap at the first moment of impact. The heels that… but oh, they’re soooo pretty!

So women can be divided by their use of the high heel. There’s Camp 1: the women that seem to have their feet molded in the classic Barbie doll shape, wearing stiletto boots and strappy figments of coverage to work, running confidently and against all odds to catch that bus as it threatens to peel away from the curb. These are the women that seem to demonstrate better balance as they navigate snow and ice in pointy heels, better than men slip-sliding in flat and supposedly practical shoes. These are the women who feel no pain, or are at least adept at hiding normal sensation from the public and themselves.

And then there’s Camp 2: the women who take mincing steps in their high heels, with feet swelling to double their size and blisters popping and bleeding, who scare children with their attempts to smile through clenched teeth and under-the-breath cursing. These are the women who whip out the pumps for important business meetings or interviews, forgetting that an ace performance will be impossible when you’re sweaty and limping from the walk to work. The women who purchase the cute dressy sandals for weddings, knowing that if they cry from pain everyone will think you’re just another weepy female at a wedding. The women whose feet, no matter how hard they try, will not mold to fashion but instead demand to be flat, free and frisky.

So what is it about the high heels? After a misguided day of wearing high heels, convincing myself that I’d be fine on the 14 blocks or so to bus stop/work and back, when my feet slowly bend back to their normal position and I can walk without the hobble, I realize the association of sexiness and pain. Because high heels are just today’s example of pain defined as beauty - witness the march of historical evidence in the form of corsets, rocket-launcher shaped bras, girdles, garters, strapless bra apparatus (apparatuses? apparati?), etc.

The culprits are many, of course. They include a society that defines women as objects and men as subjects. Not many inherently uncomfortable men’s clothes out there, are there? The usual suspects that are name-checked in an argument such as this perpetuate this standard: purveyors of entertainment, The Media, etc.

But it can be said that women preserve this diabolical tendency of fashion by succumbing to it. Tis true, my fellow lasses. I know I have walked through the aisles of DSW or Payless and been sucked in by the heels. They call to me, promising that this time will be different, that all that abuse in the past was just a mistake, that they regret it and will prove themselves improved… And I believe them. I slip on a pair and marvel at how they make my huge feet look downright feminine and purty. I ignore all the laws of logic and body makeup, all the medical evidence that shows the damage of high heels in the form of bunions, corns, and broken bones, all the pain shooting through my toes and calves, and I jump right back into bed with that abusive paramour.

The point is that I know what I should do but I don’t. And these are freakin shoes, people. How about the other damages women do to themselves in the name of socially accepted beauty – starvation, mutilation, and plastic surgery, to name a few? I can easily draw the line between succumbing to society’s shoe fetish and giving in to obsessions with big breasts and anorexia. But some can’t draw that line. Some are too young to draw that line. And that’s where the beauty = pain scenario is in fact the most painful.

Diamante   

Sheh, you will always find that us women will never completely find nothing to nag about. Even if something is so perfect we will find loopholes that are open for criticism!

Since the topics on men have been exhausted (for now) it's better to concentrate on the other things that cause our blood pressure to rise. Shoes is an excellent choice!

The amount of time we women spent on choosing "appropiate" shoes for that day and then finding out that they are totally impractical by the time u have reached ur bus stop :mad: ...that alone can spoil ur whole day. The fact you're late because you spent an extra hour avoiding the cracks in the pavement so your heels wouldn't get caught is even worse.

Or the fact that you carry a spare packet of nude plasters in your handbag, incase those new shoes cause you to have unsightly blisters in the most painful of places (on the feet that is).

Or that the night before that important meeting you have to "walk in" the shoes you bought especially for that one time meeting so you won't look like you're constipated when you're putting on your "im not in pain" smile.

I could go on and on till I'm blue in the face. It won't stop me from wearing those diamante stilettos though, because they look hot (at least when I'm sitting down :D ). We women are suckers for pain.

Soomaalida waxey yiraahdaan "Xarago xanuun makarto" ....and so we endure redface.gif

Having learnt my lesson the hard way(only worn em high heels thrice), Ive accepted the fact that we are not compatible. I still admire women who can think with aching feet. I cant, need comfy shoes, seen any lately around here? Im always on the run mode, guess Im missing all the fun.

They say no pain no gain, so all my ladies out there enjoy the walking.But please dont complain :D:D

I love shoes. In shops, I take them off the shelves, slip them on, admire them in the mirror, ooh and aah and put them back where I found them. I must have a low foot-pain threshold cause I just can't pull it off. I used to work at a very relaxed office once and would regularly take my shoes off and leave them under the desk. I walked around barefoot and happy. Why can't all workplaces be like that?

Wish I could wear flip flops all year round.

Nephissa   

I wear sneakers on the way to and from work, carrying my heels in a bag until I get to the office. They damn hurt, but don't mind the pretty price.

Are stilleto boots in again this Winter?

Depends on the length of the heels, I guess. I can't do Stilettos....never could (See: 'Camp 2' in the article for an explanation). I do like kitten heels however...sleek, sexy and heely without making you feel like the 'Attack of the 50ft woman' film character. But my favourites are, of course, the wedgy heels. I can walk in those however high they are (better balanced, I suppose).

Incidently, I bought myself a smoking pair of silver and black kitten-heels the other day. Haven't had the chance to try them out yet but will be putting them into good use come tomorrow I'A when I have a long day of multiple lunch and dinner dates.

Bishaaro

Stiletto boots are always in during Aut/Win seasons. I prefer sturdier boots for winter myself. England is far too cold and wet for anything else.