Sign in to follow this  
Caano Geel

Yet more tragedy and chaos: Hundreds killed in Hajj stampede

alaah ha u naxriisto.

--------------------------------------------------

At least 345 Muslim pilgrims have died in a crush during the stone-throwing ritual at the Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia, officials say.

Hundreds of pilgrims have also been injured. A BBC correspondent at the scene in Mina saw dozens of bodies lined up on the ground.

The ritual has seen many lethal stampedes but the number of dead this time is the highest in 16 years.

After a crush in 2004, barriers and stewards were added to improve safety.

The stampede took place at the foot of the bridge of Jamarat, where pilgrims hurl stones at three pillars representing the spot where the devil is said to have appeared to Abraham.

An interior ministry spokesman, Maj Gen Mansour al-Turki, told the Associated Press news agency the crush happened after pieces of luggage spilled from moving buses in front of one of the entrances to the bridge, causing pilgrims to trip.

At least 289 people were injured, according to the Saudi Health Minister Hamad bin Abdullah al-Maneh.

With the local hospital in Mina overflowing, many victims of the crush were transported to medical facilities in Mecca and Riyadh, a doctor told the Associated Press news agency.

Many of the victims were reportedly from south and south-east Asia.

More than two million people were thought to have been performing the rite at the time.

'Road of death'

Witness Abdullah Pulig, an Indian street-cleaner, described a scene of carnage.

"I saw people moving and suddenly I heard crying, shouting, wailing. I looked around and people were piling on each other. They started pulling dead people from the crowd," he told the Associated Press news agency.

Suad Abu Hamada, an Egyptian pilgrim, told the agency he heard screaming and "saw people jumping over each other".

"It was like the road of death in there," said another pilgrim, quoted by Reuters news agency, who spoke of women fainting amid elbowing crowds.

Ambulances and police cars streamed into the area, as security forces tried to move people away from the scene of the accident.

The pilgrims were returning via Mina after performing the Tawaf al-Wada, a farewell ceremony that involves walking around the Kaaba - a cube-like building in the centre of Mecca's Great Mosque - seven times.

The Tawaf al-Wada is performed after the Hajj has finished.

The stoning is the riskiest ritual of the Hajj, as worshippers jostle to try to target the stones, often causing weaker pilgrims to fall under foot.

In 2004, more than 200 pilgrims were trampled to death while performing the same ceremony.

The latest deadly stampede comes days after more than 70 people died when a hostel for pilgrims collapsed in the Saudi city of Mecca.

The Hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam and every able-bodied adult Muslim is obliged to perform it at least once in their lives.

-------

source

Xoogsade   

"Tragedy" in this case is subjective. Some may have prayed to their creator to not come back alive and die in Makkah During Haj performance. Should I worry and think of the death of such person as tragic? Or one lucky being who have met death in such state of purity(if their haj is accepted)? Something to think about isn't it Mr.Caano Geel? :D

I don't mean to say the authorities in Saudi Arabia don't need to improve bridges and road safeties or whatnots, nonetheless, I see those dead individuals as blessed beings and hope for their easy access to heaven inshallah.

Kashafa   

May Allah(SWT) accept the Hajj of all those who perished and grant them paradise.

It's bittersweet. On one hand, death in Hajj(=purified from all sins) ; on the other, the elderly, kids, and women being trampled on during the stampede. Only the strong survive.

Castro   

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

No dude, death is always a tragedy

Saaxib, death is biologically the next stage and Islamically, it's xaqq. The way it happens could be labelled tragic. Allah yirxam all our muslim brothers and sisters.

Arawella   

I do not think most people main objective for going to Hajj is to DIE! Logically one should go there to pray and to celebrate their religion.

Although that I pray for all those who died to be blessed with heaven, we must bear in mind that dying during the pilgrimage does not imply an entry to heaven. Only Allah knows best.

I believe that the Saudi government should be brought to justice for allowing each year civilians to die or be severely injured. Lets face it the government is cashing in so much each year and can easily afford to improve the conditions for the pilgrims.

Personally, the families of those who perished should sue the Saudi gvt. That would definitely be a wake-up call to take responsibility.

Castro   

^ Precisely. In fact, I'd go a step further and say, the violent overthrow of a grossly incompetent and cowardly regime should be the preferred route.

Originally posted by LaVie:

I do not think most people main objective for going to Hajj is to DIE! Logically one should go there to pray and to celebrate their religion.

Although that I pray for all those who died to be blessed with heaven, we must bear in mind that dying during the pilgrimage does not imply an entry to heaven. Only Allah knows best.

I believe that the Saudi government should be brought to justice for allowing each year civilians to die or be severely injured. Lets face it the government is cashing in so much each year and can easily afford to improve the conditions for the pilgrims.

Personally, the families of those who perished should sue the Saudi gvt. That would definitely be a wake-up call to take responsibility.

:D I never defended the Saudi Government, but I see your remarks very irrelevent, because its not the government that manages the affairs of the sacred house of Allah, its the council of Culimada who decide what to accomodate for the guests of Allah's House, the Kacbah. And in this case, according to the Al-Jazeera website, I gather that over 60,000 security personale were arranged to under take the task of working on the safety of the Xaajiyaasha. Then what neglegency would you accuse of the Saudi family, when we, at least the likes of me, know for sure that the Saudis deserve an accredition for their excellent services to the Kacbah and for the guests?

Ilaahey ha u naxariisto, naxariistiisana ha geeyo dadkii ku naf waayay gudashadii sanadkan ee xajka, aamiin. Dad badan oo ehelkeyga ah ayaa sanadkan ka qeyb galay waajibkaas, ilaaheyna waxaan ka baryeeynaa inuu kheyrka waafajiyo, geeridana hadeey abshirta ugu jirto uu waafajiyo, maadaama meel lagu naf waayo ay ugu fiican tahay adoo camal kheyri ah gudanaya.

Xoogsade   

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

quote:Originally posted by Xoogsade:

Something to think about isn't it Mr.Caano Geel?

No dude, death is always a tragedy
Mr.Caano-Geel, Why would death be always a tragedy? In some instances where an individual is beyond hope, death could be viewed as kindness. What about that person who can't walk, can't talk, and who is fed through a tube in their throat? Would their natural death be viewed as tragic by you? How about if you consider death to be a door which you go through that leads to another reality as the one you currently live in, death wouldn't seem that tragic to you would it? If death is the end to reality as we know it now, then we have a reason to view it as tragic, otherwise, it is just another process you go through to reach a final destiny :D

Lavie

These people met their fate and we can only pray for them instead of questioning why they have died. More worrisome would have been if they were engaged in other ungodly acts or they were sitting in their homes and a sudden death was visited upon them.

Modesty   

I wouldn't blame the Saudis, with a gathering of over 2 million people of course there will be death.There are many deaths in sport domes yet most of it might not always be reported.The Saudis have done more than enough, but it is Allah that brings death people.

Yes, I think it's a blessing to die in Hajj, because those whose Hajj Allah accepts go to Jannah.

N.O.R.F   

The question here is, can the Saudi authorities cope with the sheer number of Hijjaajs?

For many years we have become used to hearing of tragic incidents at the holy sites during Hajj and yesterday was no different. May Allah grant those who passed away Jannah and those who were hurt in the incident a speedy recovery IA. Close family members were lucky to survive, it was not their time.

Again the Saudi authorities have failed to control the crowds of people due to them not being able to comprehend and act upon basic safety measures that are a must for such an occasion in order to minimize the risks exposed to the Hijjaajs. You may say that it is easy for someone who works in safety orientated industry to say this but i'm convinced many of the deaths throughout the years have been as a result of poor management by the Saudi authorities.

I have been watching the Hajj on Saudi TV all week and one thing they have been quick to inform viewers of was just how safe Hajj is this year due to much planning and spending in areas such as policing, medical response, medical facilities, the recent completion of a new bridge at Mina (to help the movement of people), more accommodation etc.

How ironic it was to ask a brother (from Kenya) who was performing Hajj for the second time (first time in 1984) on live TV, if he felt safe. His response was blunt and straight to the point. He mentioned that the authorities were responsible for each and everyone who is performing Hajj and therefore it is only right and expected of them to provide such services and facilities and should have been done a long time ago as "they have the money".

It is a well know fact that the Saudis pride themselves in being the custodians of the two holy mosques and the hosts during Hajj. However, the time has come for the sharing of information with Hajj representatives in other countries as many Hijaajs are left a little exposed with a basic lack of information regarding safety procedures.

The stoning of the Devils should be carried after Duhur prayer according to the Saudi authorities but many scholars disagree (as far as i understand it from TV phone-ins last night) and suggest that it can be done at anytime during the day (someone may correct me on this). Now if this was the case (that it can be done at anytime) then this will greatly reduce the risk of a stampede as the time to perform this act will be lengthened thus giving people more time. Thats one point.

Now why are the authorities allowing people to carry heavy luggage (consisting of tents and sleeping gear) to and from and among huge crowds when it is a common know fact that this area is a flashpoint where many people have lost their lives due to stampedes in previous years? The minister for information has come out today and said that all nations have been informed that their citizens are 'not recommended' to carry luggage during the performance of Hajj. But why are the authorities not acting upon this and banning it altogether? Thats the second point.

A serious review involving all parties (including Hajj resp from all countries) has never been more urgent. A programme of differing times to perform Hajj acts for different regions is what i would personally recommend in order to reduce the risks (which seam to be becoming greater) to which the Hijjaajs are exposed. Such a programme will need to be clearly defined in a format understandable to all and must be finalized and distributed world wide at a very early stage. If of course it does not contravene any laws and regulations of the performance of Hajj.

Allah knows best.

ps, We all know what Allah wills, will happen, but that doesn’t mean we should'nt do our best to avoid such tragedies. I feel that the Saudis are not (and have'nt been for a long time) doing their best to control such situations. I'm coming from a safety angle only

Johnny B   

Though giving the benefit of the doubt to the Saudi authoroties is a must, the constantly recurring tragedy is not acceptable in terms of the security measures in place.

This ( dying in the Haj )and refusal of medications are likely temptations for many religious ppl and few of many reasons why religious rituals should be under control.

Not so long ago , i´d a family member at Haj and an incident took place at that very same spot ( where Satan is stoned ), had she been hurt i´d to sue the Saudi authority.

Loss of life is ALWAYS a tragedy , even if the deceased contributed to his death under the impression of having a better shot ( Pascal´s wager comes to mind )at paradise.

Kashafa   

Not so long ago , i´d a family member at Haj and an incident took place at that very same spot ( where Satan is stoned ), had she been hurt i
´d to sue the Saudi authority

You don't sue an absolute monarchy. You can beg, You can grovel, but you can't sue.

king_450   

First and foremost God Give them Jannah.Secondly it is clear that SA no longer has the manpower and the means to police these holigans who run over innocent Haj Want bees. It is time they inlist the help of other muslims cz this act happens every other Haj people are dying and there is no corrective measures from the SA.But again how can you enlighten a rich hard headed Kings who don't care the life of other muslims?