Sign in to follow this  
SCORPION_SISTA

THIS DISCRIMANTION CROSSES THE LINE!!!

Blessed   

Walaalo, I said that perhaps your making the assumption that people with disabilities were incapable of speaking for themselves. And you proved that by saying :

What i expect us to defend them against is other people trying to dissociate them from being involved in any activities or even in their communities based on them being disabled,

All I am saying, is that in my opinion a person with a disability is capable of telling others that they are being discriminated against. In fact most of the anti-discrimination campaigns for disabled people are started and run by people with disabilities.

And if you want to raise awareness within the larger community, it is better that complaint comes from the person that lives with attitudes that need to be changed. Maybe, you can support and encourage them (what I meant about speaking with your cousin). but to speak for them and defend them ..... you might actually risk offending the people your trying to help. Blv. me I've seen it happen!

Think of it this way, if someone was insulting one of your 'able' friends would you cuss the person out on their behalf ... or let them speak for themselves?

How would you feel if some cadaan woman started an advocacy campaign for Somali girls... because they are incapable of speaking for themselves.

I am not attacking you walaalo, I think you have a really healthy attitude. But you did ask for opnions and I am just giving mine.

Exdane lol

I agree with ya. I think hands on experience is the best way. How can you know about Some1 just by what ppl tell you about them? You would have to get to know the person in their everyday situation to get that normality factor right.

LadyMo   

SCORPION_SISTA ur wlc n thanx 4 raisin such a good topic!

I'm sure ur both (Ameenah and SCORPION_SISTA) on de same level and neither of u guys r attackin each other. I'm happy 2 b able 2 discuss things wiv de both of u!

Ur both very aware of wats happenin around u which is gr8 2 c. But it just shows dat we 'abled' ppl also experience hardship in communicatin similar points but we just hav different ways of sayin de same thing and if u read a phrase and I read de exact same thing u mite come up with a completely different understandin of the phrase compared to mine.

But dats life and wats makes it soo gr8-its uniqueness.

Just wish there were more peers like u 2 out there

Keep it up girls

Luv ExDane ur sis

loooool No problemos Exdane, but still seems u acting like moderater ha ;);)

Hey Abdo i am glad that u benefited something from reading this topic.

And Ameenah although after reading ur first response at first, it might feel like that, i never thought u were attacking me. And i did ask for others opinion and i do that because it allows me to see things from another view points by people points i didn't see or didn't even think about it. And for that i am appriciative for your input Ameenah, it definitely makes me think that even maybe with the best intentions one can go wrong about it. And to make sure i word my statements more accurtely next time smile.gifsmile.gif

bee bye.