Sign in to follow this  
Business_Man

ENGAGEMENT

Engagement is a provisional phase prior to marriage. It is not a binding contract, and if the fiancees find out during this period that they are not really suitable for one another then it can be broken. The engagement is no justification for the parties concerned to have access to each other's body or to enjoy physical intimacy. If broken, some jurists decree that presents given to the woman by her fiance should be returned to him, such as the engagement ring or other valuables. It is a pre-requisite for engagement that the woman be free from juridicial objections, such as being married or still during the ritual' 'waiting period', (idda) following a previous marriage. It is also unethical for a Muslim to propose to a woman already engaged, unless that engagement is broken for an independent reason or by consent of the first proposer to break the engagement.

The free consent of both parties to the marriage is a juridicial necessity. In some patriarchal communities the decision is made by the father or guardian without heed to the girl's opinion. Such practice is unacceptable to Islam, and if the girl is not consenting the marriage contract is to be dissolved by law. A young woman once complained to the prophet that her father married her to his nephew without her consent. The prophet gave her the option of dissolving the contract, to which she answered: I accept what my father did, but I wanted to make the point to women that the decision is up to them and not to their fathers.

" Such practice is unacceptable to Islam, and if the girl is not consenting the marriage contract is to be dissolved by law. A young woman once complained to the prophet that her father married her to his nephew without her consent. The prophet gave her the option of dissolving the contract, to which she answered: I accept what my father did, but I wanted to make the point to women that the decision is up to them and not to their fathers."

I point that western observers/commentators fail to pic up on interestingly enough.

Also another item which is not strongly emphasised (perhaps our fault here as muslims) is the fact that what we muslims do and What Islam is can be, and unfotunately all to often is, 2 different things.

Why??

The lack of full observance as regards to tenants and rules of Islam in its Sublime Perfectness.

And indeed in some cases the pre-meditated miss use of the rights given to muslims (so that a particular agenda my be satisfied), is one of the reasons why many countries/ organizations/ individuals can so successfull misguide so many into accepting their Fallicous and baseless arguments.

So what to do Mr Millenuim. The buck should surely stop with use on this right. As we are suppose to be the torch bearers, The Dawa Carries the examples of what Islam is all about.