Sign in to follow this  
Maf Kees

Somali Rags to Riches

Castro   

Originally posted by Hitlerette*:

Castro, yep – I know of them – and hopefully I will find a way to sneak into the family tree – so far, I have succeeded in befriending the ayeeyo
:D

That's great atheer. And while you work your way down (or up) the family tree, let me remind you of an old Somali adage. Don't let yours be a case of "farsamo xumo, futada cankeeday ku goysaa ". I think its equivalent in English is "all that glitters is not gold". :D

P.S. I know the two proverbs have no relationship whatsoever, but I just love the Somali one. :D

true say Castro but the somali one took me forever to read - the ayeeyo has already shown me the rotten leaves on the money tree - and i have noticed that things only glitter brightly when you want it to glitter - just like how beauty is in the eyes of the beholder -

P.S. Atheer sounds funny but i won't mind Eedo - :D

Castro   

^ :D

Don't think these ayeeyos are there for show. They're the first and second line of defense. They're there to sift through the applicants and weed out the undesirables. Don't be fooled by their loving granny demeanour and soft speech. Treat them as the enemy that they are and use Ninja tactics on them. And keep your eye on the prize at all times.

Originally posted by Daanyeer:

Somalis that enabled Edo Halimo to send money to Odaygeeda faster, easier and cheaper than Kwame to his family in Ghana.

Sax, sax. Otherwise we would have been paying to Western Union millions of dollars of costly interest fees, as was ka shalaayed by other Africans and their Caribbeans counterparts.

Originally posted by Castro:

^
:D

Don't think these ayeeyos are there for show. They're the first and second line of defense. They're there to sift through the applicants and weed out the undesirables. Don't be fooled by their loving granny demeanour and soft speech. Treat them as the enemy that they are and use Ninja tactics on them. And keep your eye on the prize at all times.

lol Should i assume you had a run in with an ayeeyo and lost the battle -

Gabbal   

Don't be fooled by their loving granny demeanour and soft speech.

What if they neither have an ounce of granny demeanour nor soft speech? :D

Maf Kees   

Originally posted by The Fireman:

My friend is a pusher, habeenkii wuxuu suubiyaa $10,000 in profits.

War get your skinny behind out of here. We all know ghetto street pharmacists don't make that kinda money. Who are you trying to fool son?

I still need Rags to Riches tales people!

Emperor   

^You must love money Sxb, I know of a brother who makes that amount of money easily, he owns money making machine back home, uses it to produce as he wishes... LOL

Aside from the story telling, have you got any mega million making deals? any profitable trigger to pull, if you do, PM me...

N.O.R.F   

I know a few people who investing in land to develop here in UAE, and guess who is their consultant? :D

No more working for others soon IA :cool:

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

Bump, anyone got any stories?

Once in 2004 i was on my way to homeland or somaliland, while one night i was in rented room in Juba hotel in Gold market in dubai, i change my mind took a taxi in the morining and went to Ajman, in Uae, went to a real estate and bought a house of a one story bunglow in a nearly 350k dirham, i came after two years in 2006 and sold the same house in 1 million and 150 dirham, and i left the scene smiling from cheeck to cheek smile.gif

Greed is Good GK, will that be part of the stories you looking for?

^^ Nice deal you flipped there, thats a good story. The land development projects Northerner mentioned looks itneresting too. I heard a story about a couple of somali businessmen that bought a B 747-200 (jumbojet), supposedly they wanted to re-start Somali Airlines but I don't know how far that project went.

I think SOL should start a Strictly Business section were entrepreneurs, financiers, to-be-entrepreneurs can bond, exchange ideas or present new projects to readers and other SOl members.

Emperor   

^I agree sxb they should make a platform for Business and related issues, It will make the site look more professional and useful than it is...

BTW who is that man displayed in your avator, Jose Mourinho?