Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

No Jobs. yeah right!

Ibtisam   

AN Asian man rejected for a job reapplied posing as a less qualified Brit with a double-barrel name - and was offered an interview.

Qamar Malik, 48, called himself R. Lloyd-Hilbert, sent a worse CV, and even added a year to his age.

He had a "positive response" by email within two hours, he told an employment tribunal.

Yet two days earlier the same giant multinational had told him there were no vacancies even though he knew there were.

Now Mr Malik is claiming racial discrimination against engineering firm Amec Utilities. The father-of-four was born in Pakistan but has lived here since he was five. He is a qualified civil engineer with 25 years' experience.

Mr Malik works in Canary Wharf, East London, but wanted to return to Wales where his family live.

He told the tribunal in Cardiff he applied to Amec's office in Treforest, Glamorgan, after they told him on the phone they had vacancies. Two days later they wrote back saying there were no jobs available.

He said: "I decided to put them to the test and dreamed up the name Lloyd-Hilbert to see if he would be luckier."

After the interview offer "I had to be sure a vacancy hadn't suddenly cropped up so I applied again under my real name - and once again I was turned down". He added: "It seems they didn't want to know me under my real name because it sounded foreign.

"I believed these things were going on when I was a young man looking for work almost 30 years ago but I didn't believe it was still going on today.

"I'm not looking for compensation, I just want to stop this discrimination happening."

Amec denied discrimination but the tribunal said there was a case to answer and adjourned the hearing.

The building and utilities firm employs 20,000 worldwide - 12,000 in Britain. Chief executive Samir Brikho is a Lebanon born Swedish citizen.

A spokesman said later: "We vigorously deny discrimination. We have a very proactive equal opportunities policy."

Source: mirror.co.uk

N.O.R.F   

Now Mr Malik is claiming racial discrimination against engineering firm
Amec Utilities

They did employ a Somali Engineer in the past :D

Aisha   

"We vigorously deny discrimination. We have a very proactive equal opportunities policy."

They're so full of it! Poor guy.

Ibtisam   

YOu are kidding, right! :D Maybe change of management or just a racist recruitment department, which does not reflect the company stand. That person should vouch for them! lol

The guy's name is Qamar. Maybe they thought he was female- seeing as they had a Somali employee who could have tipped them off. It's gender discrimination, I tell you. icon_razz.gif