Sign in to follow this  
Hawdgirl

Locals turn to Somalis after a South African boy is shot for 'theft'

Hawdgirl   

What do you guys think is the solution for our people that are being slaughtered in South Africa almost everyday. This is really sad, and unfortunate for Somalis living is SA. Ilaaheey ha u gar-gaaro

Aaamiin

Locals turn on Somalis after boy shot for 'theft'

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mob justice against foreign nationals has reared its head again in the Eastern Cape. This time, at the holiday town of Jeffrey’s Bay where the local community turned on a group of about 60 Somalis after a Somali shopkeeper allegedly shot dead a youth suspected of theft.

The man, who was carrying an unlicensed firearm, will appear in court on Friday. In the meantime, his fellow countrymen have been left stranded.

A 15-year-old boy was shot in the back after allegedly stealing a chicken from a Somali-owned shop. His death enraged locals, who turned on the East Africans. About 16 of their shops were looted and police have advised them to find alternative accommodation.

"The community has warned them not to return. If they come back to the area, they would do so at their own risk because police have also warned them… to stay away from the area," says Priscilla Naidu from the SAPS.

The SA Human Rights Commission has condemned the incident, describing it as mob justice. It classifies it as xenophobia even though it was provoked, because it also affected other Somalis not linked to the shooting.,

Source: SABCNews, Jan 16, 2008

I lived in Johannesburg for a short while and I couldn't believe how wide-spread the xenophopia was. it was weird. I know I'm generalizing but from what I saw, it seemed like the black south africans were the most racist bunch (or maybe it was just that they didn't hide it). they hated the whites, the indians and even black people from other countires (zimbabwe and nigeria topping the list! and somalia was definitely near the top:p)

I worked with a Zulu woman (who admitted to me that she can't stand Indian people once :rolleyes: ) and she said the main reason somalis are hated is because they open shops and they slaughter the local competition by underpricing goods and working longer hours. so maybe east africans are hated b/c they're better business ppl?

Khalaf   

The title should read: Locals turn on Somalis other then turn to! I was expecting a positive story!

that man shouldn't have shot that boy, he deserves whatever comes to him

You don't know the full details of the case and you are alreadly passing judgement! due process, due process. It could be a case of self defense considering the level of violence/attacks against shop owners!

so maybe east africans are hated b/c they're better business ppl?

cutting down prices and unleveling the playing field doesn't make one better business people.

Originally posted by Khalaf:

quote:

that man shouldn't have shot that boy, he deserves whatever comes to him

You don't know the full details of the case and you are alreadly passing judgement! due process, due process. It could be a case of self defense considering the level of violence/attacks against shop owners!

the article said that the boy was shot in the back, so...

Originally posted by Khalaf:

quote:

so maybe east africans are hated b/c they're better business ppl?

cutting down prices and unleveling the playing field doesn't make one better business people.
actually I don't know the first thing about business, alls I trying to say is that they're getting the business so in my own twisted logic, that makes them better business people. whether they're righteous or not icon_razz.gif

p.s. ever heard of walmart?

Chimera   

South African customers love Somali supermarkets and shops it's the competition that's fueling and instigating the attacks on our compatriots

Khalaf   

Originally posted by grasshopper:

the article said that the boy was shot in the back, so...

so according to you he deserves whatever he gets!

All i am saying is we don't know the full details of the case so we should reserve jugement. And what it seems would be more damaging to the defendents case is he had an unauthorized weapon!

bactually I don't know the first thing about business, alls I trying to say is that they're getting the business so in my own twisted logic, that makes them better business people. whether they're righteous or not
icon_razz.gif

Sure they are getting more business, because they have undercutted their competitors. I am pretty sure that is against ethical laws.

p.s. ever heard of walmart?

Yes I have.

winnie   

ummm, what do you expect? are somalis not xenophobic? everyone is initially. for those of us living in the west, multiculturalism is entirely a new phenomenon and its only embraced by the younger generations who grew up side by side with other youths of different cultures and races. the parents of these broad minded youths are the same ones whod be clutching their purses if they saw a farax on the same street as them.

Hawdgirl   

Khalaf, since when have you become an English teacher, hehehe do you know who wrote the article, a Sounth African newspaper wrote it, so obviously it has been written by a native English speaker unlike you, anyways don't criticize people's writtings, ESL waaxid.llol

BOB   

Salam Aleikum W.W

I personally know the guy who shot the kid and it's pity his ********* robbed many others off their livelihood and their only source of income...

About the Somali murders...it's more complicated than you think and I know it may sound rude but I truly and honestly believe most of these cases could've be avoided had the brothers learned the local language before they go and open a business in semi-desert towns.

I met some brothers oo aan garaneyn one word of English let alone the local languages and you wonder how could such person manage to run a business if he or she can't communicate with the customers?

The Somali Community leaders are trying to get this message across through the mosques because believe me in South Africa knowing the local language of the community you're dealing with will come in handy when you least expect it and it got me and my friends out of sticky situations more than once and I always advice the new arrivals to learn the language because 99% of the brothers that are murdered happen to be new to this country and you can't help but feel sad for them and I lost my temper more than once with the guys who employ them because it's an open secret that these poor brothers are exploited by their so-called ilmo adeero.

Let me stop before I lose my cool for no reason and May Allah s.w protect all the muslims wherever they are Insha Allah.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

^^Bob, what have the authorities done lately? How has the Somali community complaint been taken? Any Somalis in neighbouring countries like Botswana/Namibia etc.

BOB   

Salam Aleikum W.W

My brother I'm afraid there hasn't been any visible changes that is worth mentioning, as usual the police always make an empty promise which they never keep marka the situation is still as gloomy as it was few years ago.

like I said most of these brothers are new arrivals and I have met brothers who spent couple of nights in Johannesburg and then whisked away to tuulo where they don't understand the language, the culture etc and in Africa learning these sort of things make a big difference and it enhances your chance of being accepted by the community.

few Fridays ago the Imam of the Somali mosque was talking about these things..for example there are brothers who never see a daylight...meaning they are in that shop 24/7... they're not even afforded the opportunity to pray Juma or Eid because the 'Boss' doesn't allow his business to be closed but you'll see him at the mosque and you wonder if his Salaat is even accepted1

but it's easy for me to sit here and criticize when I don't know what makes the brothers accept to work in such condition because I don't think I would've ever accepted such rubbish from anyone but on the other hand there are some good for nothing guys who prey on these disillusioned brothers and take advantage of them and what do they do? they turn them into drug dealers with a promise of tons of quick money and sadly most of the time these brothers find the lure of the 'easy life' hard to turn down and they end up becoming another lost somali soul.

I'm sorry I know this isn't the kind of comment that you were looking forward to reading but Walaal the situation is the same wherever we are...we are losing so many young Somali brothers and our so-called elders are busy sitting on their bum discussing about how to destroy what little is left of the beloved Motherland.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

Wa alaykuma salaam akhi.

That is sad to hear. Sounds as though they need to know the employment laws before they are wisked away to the villages.