Sign in to follow this  
ailamos

Kenya seeks end to visa row after Dubai rulers expelled

ailamos   

Kenya's foreign minister is in Dubai to defuse a row after members of the Gulf state's ruling family were deported as terror suspects.

The four were on holiday from Dubai in Kenya's resort of Mombasa over Easter, when immigration officers interrogated them for hours before expelling them.

The United Arab Emirates responded by tightening visa requirements - and only accepts Kenyan university graduates.

The ban has hit many traders, who usually buy their goods from Dubai.

The BBC's Ruth Nesoba in Nairobi says second-hand cars and fabrics from Dubai are particularly popular with Kenyan businessmen.

Kenyan Foreign Minister Moses Wetangula and his delegation of officials arrived in the UAE on Monday but the talks were deadlocked and so they have been extended.

Last week, deputy foreign minister Richard Onyonka apologised on the BBC's Swahili service for the "****** mistake" of the officials.

Kenya's Standard newspaper reports that some 37,000 Kenyans live in the UAE, mostly Dubai.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8646155.stm

Ibtisam   

I want to laugh at this, but I know it has affected many normal Somali and Kenyans who go to Dubia for Business.

Damn Arabs.

ailamos   

axxxxx.... that's what it feels like ;) too bad that every 'suspect' doesn't have the means to exercise diplomatic revenge...

Ibtisam   

^They can only do that with poor African countries, the US and Europe hold members for days with no such revenge.

^ you right, masaakinta ayey ka adag yihiin. Remember 30 something isreali who came to Dubai and committed a crime in their own backyard what have they done about that? and most of these if not all are of course somalis.

Ibtisam   

^^^Yeah I know, time to dust off the old Somali passport. All those Sujui somalis will now say no, aslinen ana Somali :D

Ibtisam   

^^^^loool

North I need to find a Nigerian friend (possible one of the few I met in India) who can make any document for you, visa, university certificates, passport and start a business. Make money from this eh. :D

NGONGE   

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

^They can only do that with poor African countries, the US and Europe hold members for days with no such revenge.

The US does not keep members of the ruling family. And if it did the same fate would await Americans in Dubai. Stop talking rubbish.

Ibtisam   

^^^Maybe not key members but people who hold the surname. You do know there are almost thousands who all claim to be from the family?? I know for a FACT qaar loo didiey entry visa. Ka sheekey, they have no such punishment or bargaining chip with none AfricNS.

NGONGE   

^^ Go with the title, dear. They would do it to anyone if it was a sheikh. They would tighten the rules against ANYONE (it IS their country).

ailamos   

^^ I would think that would have dire economic consequences which they would not be willing to sacrifice... it's a big difference between banning Kenyans and banning Americans...

Ibtisam   

^^^He likes to fight a certain corner even if there is no need ee iska daa.

Ngonge: Hehehe if you say so, I'm just saying miciya aya uu so baaxa if the someone happens to be poor and powerless compared to another with bigger interst. ;)

N.O.R.F   

What Ngonge is trying to say is that the UAE and the Gulf countries today are a far cry from what many percieve them to be in terms of political clout. I agree.

Ngonge, do you know who they were? If so, text me. Xagan ha ku soo qorin. Don't want SOL to be blocked :D