Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Somali Warriors (true) ~ Early 20th Century

Yeniceri   

Oh, great: People across the world already believe Africans are a bunch of savages and you post pictures that depict "Somali soldiers" who look like they belong on a World Vision TV commercial!

And what are we to make of such images? Be proud of our violent culture?

Back then...they had waran. Now they hot...they got tekniko. Same people, same mentality, different period of Time.

p.s. Is that Kunta Kinte's third cousin in Picture #4?

Oh, great: People across the world already believe Africans are a bunch of savages and you post pictures that depict "Somali soldiers" who look like they belong on a World Vision TV commercial!

Wow. This is really sad runtii. Do you let how other people's opinions about your own people shape how you view them? Does it really matter?

As for 'savages'; would it make you feel any better if they sported a fat gut, lighter skin, western attire, and a rifle slung across their shoulders? Is that the right 'civilized' look? Hmmm.

And what are we to make of such images? Be proud of our violent culture?

Make of it what you will; I'm not going to tell you how to feel; but as for me I think those pictures depict handsome, strong, courages, dignified, honourable men. Uncomparable to the worthless excuse of men today. Kuwaas waa ragii runta ahaa.

Same people, same mentality, different period of Time.

Your mistaken.

Yeniceri   

^^

LOL@ Swedish suits. I never saw my ancestors so I got no idea what they wore homie.

Originally posted by Kooleey:

but as for me I think those pictures depict handsome, strong, courages, dignified, honourable men.

Are we looking at the same pictures? What's so "dignified" about a bunch of nomads who fought each other, slaughtered their women and razed their own villages? :confused:

We should distance ourselves from a culture of violence where, in the name of "honor" or "pride", entire villages are burnt to the ground and tens of innocent lives taken. Worse, such actions are justified not only by the people of that era, but even by today's generation! The legacy of violence that was taught to us by previous generations (like those ancestors in them pics) still continues.

Like I said, they simply shed the waran for mechanized weaponry. Big difference!