Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Eid festival flag ban criticised

N.O.R.F   

Religious leaders have hit out at a ban on flags at a Muslim festival.

Police claim waving flags during the Eid-ul-Adha celebrations in Southall, west London, on 21 and 22 January could provoke violence and racial tensions.

The Met said anyone who persisted in ignoring the ban could be arrested for breaching the peace.

Sadiq Khan, of the Muslim Council of Britain, said he failed to see "how the carrying of national flags causes anti-social behaviour".

'Faith celebrations'

Mr Khan, chairman of the council's legal affairs committee, said: "This is the first time I can recall someone being prohibited from waving a national flag in a public place, other than a sports occasion, in the mainland UK.

"I can't see the legal justification for this.

Whether you agree or disagree with the way people celebrate a festival they are not doing anything against the law."

Ealing police, who made the request for people not to take flags, said the celebrations were faith celebrations and therefore had no link to any national flag.

A police spokesman said that in the past waving flags has "sometimes led to the incitement of violence, racial tension and breaches of peace between groups in the Southall area".

"Local community representatives have been consulted on our policing strategy. They fully support our tackling of anti-social behaviour to help preserve the dignity of this religious occasion," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4167765.stm

Ealing police, who made the request for people not to take flags, said the celebrations were faith celebrations and therefore had no link to any national flag.

I agree, I have never seen people waving national flags during any eid-festival...if they wanna wave flags they should use the Islamic flag. I think they have a point the Ealing police.....national flags are not linked to Eids. what are we celebrating? eid or our national day? :confused:

I think they should arrest any1 breaching the peace! period!

NGONGE   

^^^^^A Southall resident with access to a PC? Wonder will never cease! :D

As for the flags, they're usually the Pakistani national flags. It's not only Southall that suffers from this problem. Green Street in East London does too, so does Manchester's Wilmslow road! I’m not sure what’s the significance of waving a Pakistani flag on Eid day is!

Still, I find the involvement of the British Muslim Council in such a trivial matter extremely puzzling.

Originally posted by Jilaato_Cambo:

n-gone-gay ,

:D

I don't get the fuss. Its their (the British) country - so why complain? They say they don't want other flags on their soil. Raise your flag on your own soil. I think its a simple, yet increasingly overexxagerated, concept.

admin - for ur information he told me his name was that. i dont get it, i joke with him all the time so does he....he doesn't complain (coz isaga aa ii sheegay magacaas), laakiin magaranaayo meesha aad adiga ka socotit. :confused: accountiga aa lagaa xiraa lee meeshaan aa la iskuugu caga jugleenaa :rolleyes: ....waxaad rabtiin sameeya :mad:

NGONGE   

^^^^ :D:D

Now I understand!

Dee you deserve it really. Odey biiqay ayaad waxyalaha o qoraysa! icon_razz.gif

But, honestly, I can understand how the admin can misinterpret your motives and meaning when you wrote my name in the way you did (which as you rightly stated, was the way I told you to pronounce it). Don’t expect an apology from the admin because he was merely doing his/her job here. Still, if you would be satisfied with an apology from me I’ll gladly give it (hoping you will not).

:cool:

^^dee inkastoo quf weyn aad tahay da'da baan kaa sii yareenaayay, joobane aan kaa dhigaayay. i can't call you adeer (that will make u 2 old) and we cant have that, so i have 2 call u brother (ur age will then be less obvious) don't u think adeer ooops i meant bruv :D