Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

The autonomous city: alternative safety net

Chimera   

I just watched a good movie called 'the Village' by M. Night Shyamalan, and the intentions of the elders with regards to escaping the darkness of corrupt cities/countries was a concept that appealed to me greatly. Their project to build a safe traditional environment for their children in the form of a isolated 19th century-esque village is very similar to the projects by Somali elders that materialised into Somaliland, Galmudug and Puntland after the collapse of central governance in Somalia.

The people of the South who attempted similar projects in the Capital in the last decade simply could not emulate their Central, Northeast and Northwestern brothers because that area - Mogadishu - was prime real estate in terms of potential political and economic revenue, atleast considered such by the warlords and the international community i.e manipulating countries, donors, and political orgs etc.

There have been brothers and sisters in the South however who have tried to keep some semblance of order by manuevering through the cobweb of warlords, militias, invading armies and now Islamists. They are the teachers, doctors, and entrepreneurs that keep the schools enrolled, the hospitals and the markets open for civilians. The same men and women who build a complete new university from scratch, one of the biggest in East Africa and currently in the top 100:

Mogadishu_university.jpg

The above university was build far away from the Capital and the influence of the forces of darkness whose touch turns everything to rot. The reason of this topic really is to discuss the idea of building an entire new city somewhere in the vicinity of where the Shabelle and Jubba rivers meet around the area of Jilib and Jamaame.

SOMALI-W1.gif

This city would provide an alternative for those fleeing the demonic claws of whatever retarded self-rightous power(s) that is rampaging our old beloved capital. Instead of going from the frying pan into the fire(dabaab etc) they would enter this new city as a safehaven. Because this city would be build in a lush region and has access to the sea it could easily become self-sufficient. This would be a sanctuary, a fortress of solitude, where the political law is the Xeer law. Community matters would be handled through Shir councils, a clear perimeter would be guarded by sons and daughters of those living in the city. The powers that be and their shady international backers, who are still holding the now completely empty capital hostage would soon realise their plans to force the Somali people into extinction is a futile dream.

It is therefore important that the average hardworking and life-loving Mogadishan residents and Southerners in general start seeing things in persepective; is it worth the risk to wait as one warlord is toppled by the next?, one weak government falls after another?. The case of the aforementioned Somali men and women who decided to build a rising African university in a safe environment should be taken as a good example, but the analogy would be about their 'children' and their god given right to live and grow up in a safe environment:

A self-sufficient autonomous city, isolated from the conflict:

apok9.jpg

The architecture of this alternative city would ofcourse reflect Somali architecture.

Hales   

I see your a dreamer than worse than me icon_razz.gif

I have a similar vision for Mogadishu but on a smaller scale but thats only when the war stops.

To have anthing that remotely looks like that would at best need to be recognised by the UN and the states and develop trade relations; on top that it would need to have a rapidly growing economy.

And when then ward of the demon club Alshabaab whatever they do manage to build :D .

Chimera   

God willing i will do it, i have a brilliant plan to raise capital, if i succeed in the next five years that is. I must do it, this is a lifetime mission. One can't trust the politicians to provide stability, and if they do, we don't know how long it will last, there has to be a safetynet.

With a plot of land reserved for this plan, and the blessing of the locals that picture will be a reality by 2020, especially considering the fact that Somalis are currently building several of those in Kenya and Dubai, the real-estate madness will be even greater if it's in a safe part of the homeland.

Showqi   

Originally posted by Mr Prince:

The reason of this topic really is to discuss the idea of building an entire new city somewhere in the vicinity of where the Shabelle and Jubba rivers meet around the area of Jilib and Jamaame.

--Magaciisi :D , You choose a good location, to build the city. Jilib and Jamaame is farmers land. The Somalis in this area are hardworking, honest people, they have more Soomaalinimo in their blood than any other place in Somalia. In Jilib and Jamaame They don't use Qabiil, they hate hostility and violence even though they are very strong people physically, they hardly fight or encourage anyone to fight. In my childhood I once lived in Mareerey, which is small village close to Jilib(Mareerey, such a beautiful place :D )

In Jilib and Jamaame the ground is very fertile. You can basically grow anythig: fruit, vegetables, tea, rice, flowers, you name it.

You got the Jubba and Shabelle rivers running through this area, and If you set up a good watermanagement system. You will have a water supply that is going to last 1 or 2 years. Roobkii gu iyo xagaagana waa mid lagu xisaabtamayo sanad walba, hadii illaahay keeno.

In Jilib and Jamaame you got:

1)Hardworking, peaceful Somalis

2)A fertile ground where you can grow anything (no more hunger and starvation :D )

3)Two rivers and Water that is available the entire year

The downside of Jilib and Jamaame area is that there are too much Kaneeco. So I would say bring with you: Maro-Kaneeco iyo Malaria Tablets :D:D:D