Sign in to follow this  
Resistance

ISLAMICALLY LIBERATED?

I ask mysef this question recently after a discusion on how liberated Somali women are with a few freinds of mine.

But we come to the idea of being Islamically liberated, can they square up to their parents when an issue is clearlly not in the spirit of Islam

Only if women knew the many rights Islam bestowed upon them and how they can follow their own way according to the deen insteasd of becoming a rebel to show their disatisfaction with the current sitaution.

-Lily-   

The same can be said for men, to behave accourdingly. The sad truth is most Somalis respect culture more than deen, this includes parents.

I see family members referring to others as 'extreme' because they opt to apply the Sunna in their life.

N.O.R.F   

I dont know, we are can be the best and the worst all at the same time. But i dont think we are any different to others.

If you compare Somalis with Asians, then thats a whole different issue. In 30 years time who knows how 'liberated' we will be.

Modesty   

I agree, most of our parents mix culture with deen, I think the newer generation, or the ones who are more educated know the difference!