Sign in to follow this  
Jamilah

Say a little prayer

Jamilah   

Every night before I go to sleep I say a little prayer; I appeal to Allah the Almighty to make me successful both in this world and the hereafter. I beseech him to reward my mother with eternal bliss, my mother whom I deeply love, fervently admire and immensely respect. I wish the same for my father, siblings and grandparents.

Then I think of all the Muslims around the word who are experiencing calamity, so I pray for them. I pray that the people of Palestine, Iraq, Chechnya, Bosnia and so forth are victorious in the trials they are facing (especially considering they are expected to fast amidst such hardship). And we complain during exams. Then I think of all the sins committed by mankind….and that of fellow Muslims. With much difficulty I make myself say “Allah please forgive their sinsâ€, I pause and just cannot bring myself to say Amen. Just thinking of the atrocities committed by other Muslims makes me nauseous. Then I question my inability to say Amen, is it a flaw in my character? Why is it so hard for me to forgive and yet I expect others and Allah to forgive me? These questions make me further beg Allah that I triumph in the Jihad I am waging against myself-my inner struggle.

So Nomads, I know I prayed for a lot but if you were to pray for one thing what would it be?

Jabhad   

2 thumbs way up for you Jamila! Powerful Words that can only come from the heart. ;)

^^

So Nomads, I know I prayed for a lot but if you were to pray for one thing what would it be?

Allah says: “Allah would make the burden light for you, for the human being was created weak.†[sûrah al-Nisâ’: 28]

The Prophet said: Allah is angry with those who do not ask Him for anything (Tirmidhi).

We humans need allah's help when we are in our mother's womb as well as when we are outside our mother's womb. I do make dua for myself, my family and the Muslim Ummah most of the time after offering salat.

Masha'Allah! nice and touching! yet very powrful. amen, may Allah swt except your prayer, sister.

..Then I think of all the sins committed by mankind….and that of fellow Muslims. With much difficulty I make myself say “Allah please forgive their sinsâ€, I pause and just cannot bring myself to say Amen. Just thinking of the atrocities committed by other Muslims makes me nauseous. Then I question my inability to say Amen, is it a flaw in my character? Why is it so hard for me to forgive and yet I expect others and Allah to forgive me? These questions make me further beg Allah that I triumph in the Jihad I am waging against myself-my inner struggle.

Well, I think thats common and understandable. Nea, it is not a character flaw you know after all we are insaan not perfect in anyway.

I think at that moment you bring the memory of past events (dreadful events involved muslims) into your mind and all these flash-backs you suddenly remember makes you to have difficulties to say 'amin'. But now where you identified what the problem is, then insha'Allah all you need is to confront with your nafs and win overit. Allah knows your sincerity after all and if He is happy with it then He swt will let it go.

I, myself have a problem forgeting these important nightly prayers before sleep, it's just laziness that stops me sometimes, but I do prayer for myself, my family & muslims (you know the plight of muslims ummah today, -truely alarming!) :(

am

Modesty   

MashaAllah Jamilah, your post is really beautiful.

I haven't been doing that lately, but insha Allah , I remember when I used to make a little dua at night in my quiet room...I would get so emotional, you can feel Allah's presence in your heart.I would just cry to Allah alone. I prayed for all the people in the world who are suffering, I pray for Allah to guide the muslims who have gone astray, and for the non-muslims for Allah to guide them. Ah, I miss doing that, inshaAllah, I have to start soon.

I pray that Allah in his infinite mercy, makes life bearable for the downtrodden. I pray that pain and suffering cease to exist. I pray that those who endure hardships in the life find peace in the next; I pray that my actions & deeds are enough; I pray for more time, for success; and most of all I pray for Allah's love and guidance.

Great post Jamilah. But let's not forget that all humans deserve our prayers; muslims more so; but include your neighbour and the rest of the inhibitants of the world. They are in need of the mercy and guidance that only Allah can offer.

J.Lee   

I pray for all your prayers to be accepted and granted. I pray for patience and a way to beat sleep deprivation. I pray for good grades in all my courses and yours, insha’allah. I pray for acceptance into the program I plan to apply for and any scholarships aan buuxiyo.

Aamin.

Kashafa   

Inspired thread, ya jamilah....

With much difficulty I make myself say “Allah please forgive their sinsâ€, I pause and just cannot bring myself to say Amen. Just thinking of the atrocities committed by other Muslims makes me nauseous. Then I question my inability to say Amen, is it a flaw in my character?
Why is it so hard for me to forgive and yet I expect others and Allah to forgive me?

For starters, you haven't thrown your brethen in prison, and left them to rot. You haven't pimped your country, your peoples, and the remenants of your dignity. You haven't sold out your beliefs for a quick dolla/riyal/shilling.

I say: May Allah hold them accountable. And may He forgive us(those of us who don't commit atrocities) for our shortcomings, our failures, and our sins. We're just too human.