Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

'Foot in mouth' prize for Rumsfeld

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A comment last year by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on the hunt for Iraq's weapons of mass destruction was awarded the "Foot in Mouth" prize Monday by Britain's Plain English Campaign.

Rumsfeld, renowned for his uncompromising tough talking, received the prize for the most baffling comment by a public figure.

"Reports that say something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know," Rumsfeld told a news briefing.

"We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

John Lister, spokesman for the campaign, which strives to have public information delivered in clear, straightforward English, said: "We think we know what he means. But we don't know if we really know."

Although Rumsfeld's comments were made at a news briefing in February 2002, they were nominated for this year's award.

Rumsfeld, whose boss, President Bush, is often singled out by language critics for his sometimes unusual use of English, defeated actor-turned-politician Arnold Schwarzenegger for the booby prize.

"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman," the new California governor said.

Previous holders of the award include U.S. actress Alicia Silverstone and British Chancellor Gordon Brown. Last year's winner was actor Richard Gere.

I thought dis article....Arnie Boy was exceptionaly funny.....Good luck to Cali

Macalin   

"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman," the new California governor said.

----

LOL...Gavanah of Galifooniyah!---MEAT HEAD! he sure is...Horta have yall seen when the nucca is walking?....he has a socod of what my sister used to call "SOCOD GEELEY"(i have no clue what she means by that)...but the nucca is one QAABLESS meat head!

and for mr DUMBSFIELD..yes dumbfeild..hes one heck of a mouth! :D -che ciid wanagsan adeer

Damn....How could i forget da T series. Yeah i guess probably did get to him. Mr " I will be Back" should have won da award. I say with his heavy Austrian accent coupled with da robotic nature and da above statement made him clear winner. Of coarse Dubya n Rums would be da runner ups.

LST...I don't think anybody knows wat he meant. Perhaps a nomad who knows these unknowns can throw a ligth on dis n lets us know what Rums knew that we don't know.

Here are links of a flash movie with sound bites of Dubya, Rums, Powel, and Fleisher.

web page

web page

referring to the prize awarded to rumsfeld about the "unknown unknowns", some media critic suggested that rumsfeld is a poetic genius that is often misunderstood! A response to a question posed by the press to an official should not be regarded as artistic expression. i guess his arrogance and intimidating outlook exposed shortsightedness in thought!

the guy looks like a geeljire especially with his hand gestures and ever-frowning face!

Wow. This administration is really a team of geniuses. :rolleyes: They are extremely brilliant. Bush and his words of wisdom and now Rumsfeld. Good luck to the U.S. ;)

LST....LoL....Lets hope so, here is another Rumy quote

"I believe what I said yesterday. I don't know what I said, but I know what I think... and I assume it's what I said"

Socrates...LoL....there are indeed sites dedicated to him. Here is a couple, a page about his poetry, and fan site

web page

web page