Sign in to follow this  
Cowke

Why Does Somalia Have Reliable Ttelecommunication System?

Cowke   

Have you all ever wondered why somalia has more advanced telecommunication industry plus advanced banking system?

The only logical explanation I can think of is somalis need an advanced telecommunciation system because when they call their relatives in the diaspora they need "phone and good calling rates" or how else can they tell them "send me $100".

Plus they need an efficient banking system because without that how else will they recieve that $100 their waiting for from their diaspora relatives!!!

Anything outside of those two areas they are hopeless don't you find that strange? :D

Somalina   

Oh wow! I've always wondered about that and now thanks to you I know...

You are a mystery solver runtii ;) bless your heart...

I don't know about the banking system but the telecom infrastructure is very advanced relative to everything else.

They benefit greatly from non-regulation by any national telcom agency .. otherwise they would have to pay 10s of millions of dollars to license even small portions of the available spectrum.

but they are backward in pretty fundamental area .. there is no interoperability between different telcom networks i.e if you have a hormud phone you can only call those on the hormud network same goes for nation, telesom etc. at least that is the way it was since I was there last and I doubt much has changed.

another thing going for them is the relatively small customer base .. < 1M per major city.

Cowke   

Geel Jire somalia has an efficient banking system or hawala whatever you want to call it. Money is sent reliably quickly and efficiently with minimal error.

Telecommunication is doing quite well itself with cheap calling rates. But the thread was why are these two industries the only industries that seem to be doing well in somalia where-as others are not?

My explanation was provided in my earlier post and that's the only rational explanation I can think of. If you can explain why those two industries seem to be doing well and others are failing then provide your input.