Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

An amusing Dialogue btw late Barre and his aide' by Nuruddin Farah

NASSIR   

I came across this paragraph while reading Variations on the theme of African Dictatorship

"He entered and told me in a long-winded manner what had been said, what the General had said, what he himself had said. He mimicked the General. He mimicked himself.

"I told him all he had done was unconstitutional," he said. And the General had looked at him, he told me, look at Soyaan with disdain.

"Is it unconstitutional to shoot these sheikhs because they oppose my directives, the laws which I have passed, the decrees which I have signed?" I had challenged the General. "Yes it is unconstitutional to pass laws, sign decrees, run a martial-law government and sentence these sheikhs to death. It is against the teaching of the Koran on which they base their arguments. It is unconstitutional," Sooyaan concluded.

"Well in that case, have I ever introduced myself to you, young man? I am the constitution. Now you know who I am, and I want you out of here before I set those dogs of mine on you and you are torn to pieces. Out." I drove Soyaan home that dawn.

From Sweet & Sour Milk (1980)

By Nuruddin Farah"

:D:D

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Ducaysane:

quote: From Sweet & Sour Milk (1980)

aka Caano boore
It's Suusac. One Somali word fits that whole phrase. I'm a big fan of Farah's novels.

Raamsade   

You gotta admire S. Barre for his unflinching commitment to reason and sanity (Secularism) and his success in limiting beardos to their rightful place (Mosque).