Sign in to follow this  
rudy-Diiriye

Cows moo-ve over: camel milk coming to Europe

I never had camel milk...but i sure would like to try some!!loooooool.

DUBAI (Reuters) – Hard on the hooves of cow's and goat's milk,

European grocery shelves may soon be invaded by milk from that proverbial ship of the desert, the camel.

An animal famous for bad breath and ill humour might seem an unlikely source of liquid to lubricate a bowl of

breakfast cereal or froth up a latte, but promoters from the United Arab Emirates say it is healthy -- and almost like mother's own.

"People with

lactose intolerance can drink it with no problem, unlike cow's milk, it doesn't cause protein allergies, and it's high in insulin," said Ulrich Wernery, the scientific director of Dubai's Centre for Veterinary Research Laboratory.

Similar in taste and appearance to cow's milk, he said camel milk is closer in composition to human milk, making it a healthier option than cow milk.

Camel milk also is high in vitamin C, which Wernery said explains its importance to Bedouins, Arab desert nomads, who historically lacked fruits or vegetables in their diet and have been drinking camel milk for generations.

The European Commission recently approved plans for screening camel milk, and will send an EU panel to inspect the UAE's two

dairy farms producing camel milk -- Al Ain Dairy, with "Camelait," and the Emirates Industry for Camel Milk and Products' "Camelicious," found in most UAE grocery stores.

Wernery expected EU permission to export, which if granted could have the UAE shipping camel dairy next year, to open doors to U.S. and Canadian markets as well as China and Hong Kong.

But camel milk comes at a price. In the UAE, its costs about 4 dirhams (72 pence) more per litre than cow's milk.

"Cows produce more milk than our

camels -- about 50 litres daily, while our camels make 10-15 litres," Wernery, who is affiliated with Camelicious, said.

"But they developed good

dairy cows over many years. We are trying to breed good (camel) milking stock, but it will take some time."

Camelicious produces 5,000 litres a day, far less than even one percent of daily European milk consumption. For now, he said, UAE farms can target only specialty health stores.

If the milk does hit Europe's dairy aisle, he said, consumers would also find camel chocolate, cheese, and ice cream.

I never had camel milk...but i sure would like to try some!!loooooool.

I am sure you won't have this same thinking markaa cabtid and shuban kaa dhamaan waaye. Haka shaleen markaas. :D

Never had a taste in caano geel. Waa dhanaan waligeeba iska necbaa.

Somalina   

I had caano geel with soor when I was a kid and I liked it. But then again I was never fussy when it comes to food with the exception of red meat.

Maaddeey   

Lo'da dhiiqda laga maalayiyo dhayda iyo xoorku

Dhudhunkay biyaha kula jirto iyo dhabarka weeyaane

Mar hadday abaaruhu dhacaan dhimatay geesleeye

Ragga laxaha sii dhawrayoow dhaqasho waa geele.

Dhibaatiyo adoo gaajo qaba dhaxanta jiilaalka,

Dhoor caano laga soo lisoo yara dhanaanaaday

Nin dhadhamiyey wuu garanayaa dhul ay qaboojaane

Goortaad dhantaa baa jidhkaba dhididku qooyaaye

Ragga laxaha sii dhawrayoow dhaqasho waa geele!

Juxa   

caano geel waa caafimaad as ayeeyo used to say.

i dont like the dhaay caano geel, i prefer the suusac, alot of ice and bit of sugar and water

tastes divine