Sign in to follow this  
Fyr

British soldiers filmed beating Iraqis

Fyr   

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Warning! Brutal video

The Ministry of Defence has launched an investigation into a video which allegedly shows British soldiers brutally beating a group of young Iraqis.

The film, which was reported in a Sunday newspaper, shows the troops repeatedly kicking, punching and striking civilians with batons.

The newspaper said the footage was filmed during street riots in Basra in 2004 by a corporal who can be heard laughing and encouraging his colleagues in a running commentary.

"We are aware of these very serious allegations and can confirm they are now the subject of an urgent Royal Military Police investigation," a Ministry of Defence spokesman said.

"We condemn all acts of abuse and brutality and always treat any allegations of wrongdoing extremely seriously."

According to the News of the World, the video shows the troops dragging four young protesters off a street and into an army compound.

The cameraman is said to be heard laughing and saying: "Oh yes! Oh Yes! You're gonna get it. Yes, naughty little boys. You little f***ers, you little f***ers. Die. Ha Ha."

The tape shows a minute's worth of the attack - with 42 blows counted, according to the newspaper. The footage also allegedly shows a British soldier twice kicking a dead Iraqi in the face.

Gordon Brown, the Chancellor, said that if the video was accurate, those who were responsible should be brought to trial.

"This will be acted on; the investigation should take place; the name of the British forces around the world is one we must defend and protect and be safeguarded by taking the action that is necessary," he told BBC1's Sunday AM.

Labour MP Jeremy Corbyn called for troops alleged to be involved to be suspended.

"I think it's awful and I think it will cause a lot of trouble in Iraq and I think it will also emphasise the whole point that the continued presence of British and American forces in Iraq are part of the problem, not the solution," he said.

A military spokesman in Basra today reacted to the release of the tape by condemning "all acts of abuse and brutality" by British troops.

"We hope that the good relations that the multi-national forces have worked very hard to develop won't be adversely affected by this material," Flight Lieut Chris Thomas said.

Castro   

And the investigation into this "unfortunate event" will conclude there's not enough evidence to charge or convict anyone of any wrongdoing. The soldiers were under pressure of combat and felt their lives were in danger. The investigation will also conclude they used appropriate force including but not limited to kicking unarmed children in the chest and groin. The media will then say these soldiers are in a hostile environment and they know not who's friend or foe. Such environments are not conducive to good mental health and they (the soldiers) are exhibiting signs of pyschological distress shown by Israeli soldiers when confronted by similar rock throwing gangs of Arab teenagers.

So where are the bloody demonstrations over this?

NGONGE   

The timing of the release of this video could not have been any better (for Western media). Here we have a lowly British newspaper seeing the current volatile situation and the strained relations between Islam and the West, yet still going ahead and releasing such a controversial video. The irony of this situation of course, is that if a Western government ever wanted to gag and suppress a newspaper’s freedom of speech, this situation would have been it! I’m glad that the News Of The World did this. Long may it (and other news sources) continue to exercise its right to broadcast whatever it wants without fear of censorship or government interference. Indeed, on the Iraq issue at least, the main opposition and the one exposing the wrongs committed in that country has been the Western media (and a few soldiers that were motivated by a sense of moral righteousness, or money).

As for the case of these soldiers, Castro, I beg to differ. To have such news coming on the back of the cartoon controversy is what will ensure that they receive their just rewards. They will be punished (just like the Abu Ghareeb animals were). Alas, it will not be anything as humiliating or equal to a good and through beating.

PS

Give the demonstrations a day or two.

it happened 2yrs ago and its just been released!! wonder why! dont u think this is designed to bury the cartoon issues?? me thinks so!!

so they gonna have another kangroo court like abu ghareeb!...talk about the hypocracy of so called democracy played in front of our eyes!! there goes the fake show again!! spare me the drama, cuz i aint feeling no mo!! :D