Sign in to follow this  
Pacifist

Pangea day message Inspiring

Pacifist   

Pangea Day taps the power of film to strengthen tolerance and compassion while uniting millions of people to build a better future.

In a world where people are often divided by borders, difference, and conflict, it's easy to lose sight of what we all have in common. Pangea Day seeks to overcome that — to help people see themselves in others — through the power of film.

On May 10, 2008 — Pangea Day — sites in Cairo, Kigali, London, Los Angeles, Mumbai, and Rio de Janeiro will be linked live to produce a program of powerful films, visionary speakers, and uplifting music.

The program will be broadcast live to the world through the Internet, television, digital cinemas, and mobile phones.

Of course, movies alone can't change the world. But the people who watch them can. So following May 10, 2008, Pangea Day organizers will facilitate community-building activities around the world by connecting inspired viewers with numerous organizations that are already doing groundbreaking work.

www.pangeaday.org

Check this video out this was my fav Mashallah

http://www.pangeaday.org/filmDetail.php?id=73 This is what we need.

Or my other favorite the sheikh is absolutely mashallah wouldn't mind him having me as a minyaro :D

http://www.pangeaday.org/filmDetail.php?id=72

Urban   

Thanks Pacifist, I didn't know about this website.

I haven't watched all of the videos yet but the ones I saw were quite moving, especially the Dancing Queen.

*It seems that a lot of people are trying to make a make a difference in the world and leave a mark, and I just feel like I'm missing out!

Do you ever get that feeling? Mine just starts whenever i watch inspirational videos and stories, but then get stuck cuz of the lack of ideas.

One day inshallah..

Pacifist   

I love this website, actually after watching those videos, I shared this with alot of friends. So tomorrow after my lecture, couple of friends and I are meeting in our University red square for a session of our FIRST Laughing club. We will see how it goes, people think am weird already, because of my hippieness ways. Peace Peace all around, and my message of positive energy all around.

Urban I feel you, watching those videos I felt so inspired, that I joined couple of small organizations, one of them being The FOOD NOT BOMBS movement, since I love cooking, I though why not join and every saturday couple of friends and I cook for homeless youth and the local food coop donates grocery, so we spend couple of hours cooking what we have available. Its not hard and its fun. The homeless youth help us cook too. Cooking for peace.

Urban you don't have to get stuck, start small and get a couple of your friends and do fun things that can make a difference. It doesn't have to cost money or resources. I always surround myself with people that are active and have a positive energy.

I hate negative energy, because it just puts me down and I feel helpless.

We are in a era where we most people are in this phase (LETS WAIT AND SEE), that is the problem we can't afford to wait and see what happens, we need to act now.

So everyone who is reading this I would like to ask you all to contribute one idea or more of how we can help the people in Somalia (Mogadisho IDP desert CAMPs) who have nothing as you have seen in the DOCUMENTARY DISPLACEMENT.

We don't have to feel helpless, we can do something.

Thank you for your time.

Miriam1   

Paficist loved your post, so many volunteer positions feel like endless drudgery for me, so I avoid them...but something as simple as that is so doable.

I am not sure about the camps, will check out the video.

However, when I was in hergaysa a year ago, I visited this local library the Ghandi library, I think the name was, but well my point is that, even though they had so little resources many of these young men and women would be in the library for hours reading.

always wanted to donate all my university text books that I never resold, but how and the machinery of it all alludes me.

Baashi   

Pacifist, you are too idealist sis. Trust me you will grow out of it in one of these days.

Hayam, there is a way to get it to Hargeisa. Talk to your local library or even better if you have siblings in high school they can organize a book drive (pretty effective). Once that bit has been accomplished (say you got a container size load of books) then transportation (shipping through Djibouti) costs about 5 grand in US currency. The money is tax deductible. It is doable. Just make sure what kind of books you wanna send it to your preferred library. If I were you I would limited the selection to math/science/grammar/geography and what have you. You don't wanna send Lolita kinda books to folks down there. There was a similar project back in the days for Amoud.

Ghandi library is one of the few libraries here in Hargeisa but since it was first in this place, it is very much connected to all kinds of students in the schools, institutes and universities. I used to be a member back in the days but trying to go back withing the coming weeks.

Hayam, I'm sure they have connections specially in the UK and US ,,, not sure about Canada but they can manage to import such books i believe. If you get in touch with them they will manage.