Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

Should I be Offended?

Nephissa   

Last evening I went to one of the better supermarkets in my town. I frequent this market - no big deal. However, my mind was slightly blown yesterday.

There was a white lady in front of me, a white lady behind me, an asian girl at the register and a Somali guy packing the bags. Of course I noticed the Somali guy. Anyway, I happened to take notice that he was not there to pack my bag, the cashier did it. However, as I stepped away from the register, sure enough, he WAS there. He had stepped away, against the wall when it came time to pack my bag.

Some quick thoughts ocurred to me so I looked directly at him although he didn't look at me. I

lingered a bit and sure enough he stepped back to the register to pack the next customer's bag (a white lady). I'm not one to make a scene but I was tempted to question him. Then it quickly ocurred to me that perhaps he was embarrassed, so I let it go.

What do you think?

king_450   

Bisharo, why r u making a big scene out of nothing,if he don't pack ur bag then ,its aight dog.My suggestion 2 u be happy for the man,he is working and trying to do right,look at the bright side,or perhaps he knows you make every bagging he has done before a big issue. Ezy dog

posted by ngonge:I wonder what you would have done had you been in his place!

u dam right i mos def concur with u ................asxantu

LuCkY   

Bishaaro I dont know what to think of that...maybe he was embrassed or not.But I couLd care Less though even if he was another race and the fact that he is SomaLI doesnt make a difference to me so...!

King "Dog"?

Miriam1   

K i see ur train of thoughts.. i would have thought the same thing...is he treating this white woman better then me why?.. it also wouldnt have mattered in my opinion of the person was somali or not..but it does add a little sting to it, him being somali.. of ur own people in a manner of speaking.

But at the end of the day u would never know.... unless u were a parniod individual and did alittle stunt by sending ur non-somali muslim girlfriend to the market and watch if he would pack her bags or not.. if not his vindicated and has a great respect for his sisters.. even though this respect is displaced.. and packing someones grocery bags isnt a crime..

But if he does.. then he .. judging to harshly is a self hating man..who probably loaths his own somaliness...

Okay.. lol...um sorry for the long post..just really late and haven't had my intake of coffee for a while.

So at the end of the day sister.. who gives a hoot what he meant.. ppl are stranger by the day!

Curly   

You know I have a twisted way of seeing things and If that had happened to me I would just assume that this guy obviously doesn't care how these white women see him but he's more concerned about what you think of him so he's obviously embrassed and that's why he didn't pack your bags!

And personally if I was in that situtation I would have packed your bags and had a converstation with you because that just the way I am. But if it was a Somali guy's shopping I wouldn't be so eager to help, however I'd just get on with it because it's my job!

Arwa   

Thats exactly what I was about to say Psycho_Sue~

This guy obviously is new to the job since you said your a frequent customer to the store, he probably was embarrassed to serve you because you are a somali girl unlike the other races .

If I was you i'd say my salaamz and make a convo like "are you new here?" or so, just to make him feel comfortble hadee kali salaanta is enough and i'd just walk out no biggy.

To be honest maybe if i was in your shoe at the time waan isku yaxyaxi lahaa redface.gif personally I don't like to see awkward situations in which the person is not comfortable ..

Salaam

44.gif

Well I have been like that when I'm working, where I try to avoid the Somali people, only because I am embarrassed to speak in Somali as I don't know the language as well as I should. I have often been told that I speak like an 8-year old, and they tend to be amused by my accent.

Maybe he was feeling the same way. ;)

You guys are looking at it from a negative side.

Most Somalis are nice people and don't feel comfortable when one of their own is doing a job they wouldn't be proud of themselves. They feel guilty. That is why when a fellow Somali at the supermarket, forexample, tries to pack the bags for them, a typical Somali would say:

walaal ha is dhibin anigaa samaysanayee. don't worry

He could've simply been trying not to make you feel guilty by waiting for you to ask before he packs anything.

I usually don't let another Somali pack my bags because, I don't know ... I feel that is just my way of giving this hardworking brother/sister a break.

boxer   

Originally posted by *Psycho-Sue*:

But if it was a Somali guy's shopping I wouldn't be so eager to help

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

did the brother score one for the fillaz?

yup one to nothing :D

for the sister who posted this topic by now im assuming that you have enough explaination for whatever took place in the market... to me its just another case of one of those ppl who get mixed up in their "todo's" list and have hard time separating work from personal life ... or u can look at it in another way >> u might been at the wrong place in the wrong time.. as u said he hugged the wall when it was ur turn and came right back to his job as soon ur packing was done ah haa this brother is smart and has his own style... did u get it? he's packing for every other customer ;)

or u might be real pretty and put the brother in pause for a while. beleive me it happens me whenever i see pretty somali queen :confused:

Nephissa   

This was definitely a personal decision he made. And I gave the dude the benefit of the doubt by saying that perhaps he didn't relish ME seeing HIM in that position, although I really couldn't

care much less. It's a legal livin'

I was checking him out while he was bagging for the lady in front of me, but it was definitely not in a disdainful way. In fact, I'm pretty sure I smiled at him, I was trying to read his name tag. I probably would have said Asalam Alaykum when he handed me the bag but he disappeared, or so I thought. It hit me when I saw that he had stepped back, then stepped back to the register for the next white lady.

I'm inclined to think he didn't want to pack MY bag out of some ridiculous sense of pride.

Macalin   

Bisharo i have a suggestion...lol

why dont u go buy some more 'orange; juice...see if he gonna refuse to bag U....

ladiif..lol

LST..sxb ur box is full